Monday, July 26, 2010

LEARNING THIS STUFF

I did get a few things on that list done yesterday. My BBQ is spik ‘n span; there’s one less pile of paper in my office; I cleaned the bathrooms….. then I decided to wash my truck. I’ve never worked the pressure washer, so it was a new experience. A very wet one. I was trying out all the buttons AFTER the hose was connected to the faucet, and with the nozzle in just the right position, I discovered that one of the buttons was the trigger. It was quite the little dance when the cold water blasted my feet and legs and…well…let’s just say a little higher up on my anatomy. Fortunately, the doggies were the only spectators, and they only seemed curious about the sudden, strange noises the mistress was making!

I went back upstairs and changed. Determined to win, I returned and, with my new knowledge, took the equipment cautiously in hand and did a darned fine job on the truck, even if I do say so myself! When I had finished with the exterior, I vacuumed the inside, then grabbed the various sprays for the dash and the leather seats and the carpets. I turned the key enough to have the radio blare tunes to accompany all my rubbing and polishing – I was having a great time! When I finished, the doggies and I stood and admired the result – I was doing a mental pat-my-back! Until I went down this morning to leave for work and…the truck wouldn’t start. The battery was dead. With all my polishing, I had hit the dome lights. They had stayed on all night. Fortunately, I have a charger, although I wasn’t sure how to set it up. I just remembered my son once telling me ‘red with red, Mom’. I called him, and although the poor dude was sitting on the toilet at that hour, he patiently coached me over the phone. It was successful, so now I not only know how to use a pressure washer, I also learned how to use a battery charger. I enjoy learning new things, but I think I’ll take a couple of days break before having a go with the weed eater or the table saw.

My highlight today was a visit to the office by my friend, Kilroy. It’s always a pleasure to chat with him, and it doesn’t happen often enough with both of us so busy. We sat over a cup of tea, catching up on things, and it reminded me of when we used to work together a few years ago. His stay was far too short, of course, but I’ll take whatever I can get. We meet many people as we go along, and some of those become dear friends. Kilroy is one of those I hold close to my heart.

It’s nearly midnight now. I stopped on the way home to hug my daughter and to hear about her vacation. I was still thinking of her as I later made an apple crisp (her favourite dessert) to take for lunch tomorrow. It’s cooling on the counter, under one-eyed surveillance by the doggies. They’re already snoozing on their cushions behind that invisible line between kitchen and door. The scent from warm water in my Jacuzzi is calling, so I’ll wish you all sweet dreams and take my leave. Sending you a sleepy SMILE!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

J'aurais aimé te voir la fraise toute mouillée avec ta laveuse à pression . Tu viens d'apprendre quelque chose, et maintenant te voir brancher les câbles de la batterie avec le visage tout en grimaces de peur que çà saute. T'en apprends des choses. Tu es à la veille de faire toute ta mécanique seule, sans avoir recours à tes gars pour leurs conseils , même pour ton tracteur.)LOL) Kilroy