Thursday, October 14, 2010

THANKFUL, YOU SAY?

My son J, with his lady and two of the rug rats

My youngest son, J, had left to go hunting up north the Thursday before Thanksgiving. His little lady was home alone with three boys, one 5, one 3, and the youngest, born this June 12th, still nursing, usually every 2 hours or so. The boys are active, especially the 3 year old Bali, and she was nearly at her wit’s end. When I called her the day before our Thanksgiving supper, she admitted that she would rather just attempt to rest than attend.

“Okay,” I offered. “I’ll go pick up the two oldest, and it will give you a break.” I was surprised when she agreed; she’s very protective of her three sons. It did take some coaxing, but more because she was worried that I would be tired from work, that I would be busy cooking, that, being hostess, I would have to see to entertaining duties.

Ha! There was a method behind my madness! My daughter, much loved by both the young rug rats, would be at the house. Also my granddaughter, who is very good at keeping them busy. And Yo, my other DIL, who plays with them constantly whenever she has the chance. My oldest son is the entertainer in our family; the supervision of the boys would be done by more of my prodigy; so all I would actually have to do would be keep an eye on the turkey –yet get as much sticky cuddling as I wanted!!! AND I would still look good because I offered to help out! LOL!! Never underestimate the wisdom of a conniving granny!!

Thanksgiving Day was glorious! My home was filled to the brim with everything for which one could be thankful; most of my children with their significant others, my much loved but deceased sister’s daughter and granddaughter, my brother and Fran, the older grandchildren and the toddlers and doggies, all racing around keeping things lively; and throughout the rooms wafted the smell of roast turkey and savoury dressing and spicy pumpkin pie. You tell me – what more could one want?

My oldest son, always the comedian, kept us roaring with laughter. The youngsters sped up and down the hallway, only stopping when grabbed for the numerous hugs and kisses, then were dumped into the Jacuzzi later in the evening. Their aunt Shan dressed them in p.j.’s, transferred the car seats into her own vehicle for the drive home, and called me back to say that the indomitable Bali was sleeping before the first corner up the road. In the meantime, his mom got to soak at her leisure in a relaxing bath while the baby was sleeping, confident that her older sons were being embraced by a family who love them madly. Later, I learned that my other son, the avid hunter, had caught his first moose. In its own way, Thanksgiving Day was good for both of them too.

Finally it was only me and the doggies. We sat by the fire, relishing the quiet and the warmth. I lifted my last glass of wine and saluted my mom. Thanksgiving was her favourite gathering. I knew she would approve and, wherever she is now, was surely sharing my SMILE!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

1 comment:

polichon said...

Je me souviens d'avoir déjà rencontré ta petite bru que j'avais trouvée belle comme un cœur. Je vois qu'elle l'est encore. Chanceuse de pouvoir exposer les photos de tes petits mafiosos qui sont ta gloire.
Qui a fait le ménage une fois ta gang partie? Gentil à toi d'avoir une pensée pour ta mère qui, du haut de son nuage doit apprécier le fait que sa fille prend bien soin de sa progéniture et que la tradition se maintiendra par les générations qui suivront. KILR...xxx