Thursday, October 28, 2010

FIGHTING FOR POPPIES







It happens each year at this time; some corporate ‘so & so’ makes the idiotic decision that his/her shopping mall will no longer allow Canadian Legion members to sit there and sell poppies for the two weeks before Remembrance Day. Hey, I go out of my way to buy those lovely, red, flower pins, often one for each member of my family too. While I am handing the money to the smiling seller, I say a silent word of thanks and appreciation to our veterans, AND to our present day soldiers, that I am still Canadian, living in a free country, due to their efforts.

The people sitting quietly behind those tables are usually elderly volunteers who in no way harass you by word or deed to contribute. The money accumulated after hours of their time is totally used for the needs of our armed forces personnel who have come home wounded, in body and/or mind, either from past or the ongoing war.

When I heard the news on the radio yesterday morning, the first thing that came to mind was sending the corporate ass over to the Middle East to live with our soldiers for a couple of months. That wouldn’t resolve the problem; there is always another pompous manager to fill the shoes. What probably would put an end to it would be shoppers boycotting that particular shopping mall for at least the two week period. Money, or in this case, the lack of money, has a way of grabbing attention. So does bad publicity. By the time I was driving home, those responsible for the refusal had turned about. After a day’s derision by the media, they have now decided to welcome the veterans with open arms. I should hope so!!

Someone else who was welcomed with open arms yesterday was my grandson, who arrived home from northern Abitibi on his 20th birthday. His mom (my daughter), invited us over for a fondue supper to celebrate. He is here only for five days, then will be returning to work another 16 day stint. Mom and family got to coddle him only a short time this first evening; friends were waiting in the background and, at his age, are far more interesting, LOL!

It worked out fine for me. I was home for the start of the hockey game, and cheered on my HABS as they beat the Islanders. When the dancing was over, the doggies and I went for a short walk. The moon was bright, the weather perfect for a light jacket, and we roamed around outside for a good half hour. Maybe it was the fresh, mountain air, or it could have been that sleep was short the night before; whatever the reason, Morpheus was ready and willing when my Jacuzzi ritual was over. My snooze only lasted until 5 AM, but it was a deep snooze, so no complaints here.

Today I’ll be working from home, so both the doggies and I are SMILING! I’m sure at least one thing will give you reason to SMILE too this Thursday. There you go – we’ve got something to share! Have a good one, folks!


Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

2 comments:

polichon said...

Gosh...Tis is a good blog where the emotion transpires when you speak out for the vets . I think that only a few think that way, probably younger people who have never heard of the second world war, the number who have given up their lives to preserve our liberty. My bro spent five years overseas, was wounded, returned deaf and a nervous wreck. Maybe. Its a sign of to-day's mentality, I don't care. Me. myself and I.

polichon said...

Hey que j'aimerais dont être capable d'exprimer des colères et des émotions comme tu le fais Chanceuse.