Saturday, October 9, 2010

GIVING THANKS

This morning the sun kissed my mountain, causing it to blush crimson. There were bright dabs of yellows and greens and orange; colours all mixed up to create a breathtaking view. I pulled on my thick, flannel p.j.’s and joined the doggies on the gallery. We stood there together in the early silence, absorbing the beauty, shivering slightly in the crisp, autumn air. My hands were kept warm by the day’s first cup of steaming coffee; my feet by the furry, boot slippers Suzie had given me a past Christmas.

This will be one of the last chances of the year to enjoy such a sight. The leaves have already started to fall. Soon the branches will be bare and grey, contributing to the eerie but exciting Halloween atmosphere of witches and goblins. Then the snow will come, and my mountain will change its vibrant dress for crystal white. A different picture, but just as awesome in its own way. Nature is the world’s most accomplished artist.

I haven’t done a lick of housework for the past week, so my schedule is full. Dusting, cleaning bathrooms, washing floors, laundry, carrying loads of wood upstairs…all of it made tolerable by the blast of music from the sound system. An electrician (another of my son’s friends) is to stop by. The generator, needed often enough during a winter in the bush, is to be hooked up so that it will start with a push of a button. I don’t mind spending the evening with candles, and the stove and fireplace keep the house warm when the electricity goes off. However, Jacuzzi freak that I am, I want to make sure there will be no lack of water. Even more important…well, I don’t have to mention how I feel about the TV going off in the middle of a hockey game, do I?

I’m invited to my Cuban’s home for supper tonight, but the Habs are playing, and my friends are not into that sport, so I doubt that I’ll attend. Tomorrow my son and Yoshiko are coming to spend the day. My brother, maybe my daughter with her family, and my niece with her new BF will arrive to share our Thanksgiving turkey. My youngest lad is away up north hunting moose, so I’m not sure his lady and my three little rug rats will join us. When you are alone, it takes some organization to bundle up and transport all that is needed for a family that size. Maybe if one of our group goes to give her a hand….we’ll see.

Enough with the procrastination! I enjoy writing much more than chasing dust bunnies, but the house won’t clean itself, so I need to shake a leg.

To all my Canadian friends out there, I send warm wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving. And for those of you whose calendar does not designate this weekend as that holiday – well – we can celebrate with thanks anyway, right? Except maybe the turkeys, LOL!

SMILES to y’all!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

Selon la description que tu donnes d'un coin de ton pays le paysage doit être comme une carte postale. Je sais pourquoi maintenant ton ménage ne se fait pas si tu passes trop de temps à rêver assis sur ton balcon avec tes deux tannants . Quand j'y pense, je ferais la même chose , le ménage peut attendre, un pouce de plus ou un pouce de moins de poussière, çà change rien, mais un superbe levé de soleil n'attend pas. On dit "MERCI" à la veille de notre fête de l'action de grâce. To stop and count our blessings. De s'estimer heureux avec ce que l'on a. KILR..xx