Sunday, August 22, 2010

THOSE SPECIAL TIMES

A huge house should be full of love and laughter and, in my book, nothing can quite complete the picture without little ones running around; distributing hugs and kisses to grandparents and auntie and uncles; discovering new places to hide, and yes, getting into some tussling and light mischief as little ones tend to do. After reading that long sentence, I don’t have to tell you my daughter-in-law’s birthday was a fun-time yesterday. In spite of the rain, the BBQ happened, thanks to a covered gallery and my youngest son, our ‘Chef’, who is also the daddy of our three young entertainers. Um – we’ll make that two entertainers; the baby is only 10 weeks old, so the kisses were bestowed, but his running around has not yet begun. Then again, his cooing and gurgling smiles are not to be discounted; so it is three entertainers after all.

My oldest son and his wife arrived early, determined to miss the traffic occasioned by construction on the bridges to and from the city. One of his army buddies was with them. The two men, using the back-hoe (much to the doggies’ delight), worked on building stone steps to access my basement apartment. Men and dogs were soaked by the time they stopped, but the result is very well done and pleasing to the eye indeed!

Yoshiko, my son’s wife, helped me prepare the potato salad, then ran last minute errands before the rest of the family showed up. Then it was chatting, and teasing, and giggling, as we filled our faces. My oldest grandson stopped in for awhile before leaving to play hockey, and my soon-to-be 18 year old granddaughter brought a pretty young friend with her. It didn’t take the uncles long to realize that the pretty friend and the grandson had something going on, so the teasing went up a notch. Young Bali, our energizer-powered 3 year old, helped his mom blow out the candles on her chocolate birthday cake, then immediately thrust his chubby little finger deep into the icing before M’mère could whip it out of reach, LOL!

My daughter and Yo gathered up and did most of the dishes; the youngest of the clan was being nursed by the birthday mommy; my granddaughter and pretty friend watched over the little lads who were playing in the Jacuzzi. It’s how we end most of our family gatherings here at home. I bagged and distributed the remainder of fresh corn from the huge sack, then the three doggies and I stood and threw airy kisses and waved as they drove down the driveway and away.

It’s evident that I relish the days spent surrounded by my family. I really can’t think of anything better. I bask in the glow of it all until it’s time for the next gathering, which will happily be more often with the arrival of fall (most of my grandchildren have birthdays then), then the Christmas holiday season.

The only blight yesterday was Bud being very, very sore after all his playing. I was up more than once during the night, giving him medication and cuddling to diminish the pain. We finally fell to sleep around 4:30 AM. It would probably be easier to keep him quiet by shutting him away from all the excitement, but I know he would absolutely HATE that. I wouldn’t want anyone to do it to me if I was in his condition, so I sure won’t do it to him.

I have a major clean-up to do now, so will get to it. It’s still raining outside, which makes it easier to stay in, turn up the music, and get the work done.

I hope you are all having a nice weekend. I’m rounding off my good time by sending you a cheerful SMILE – one soaked in the love and delight left over from a wonderful day with my family. I’m sure you’ll feel the warmth – it travels in cyber space!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

Le back hoe est mentionné...as-tu quelqu'un qui travaille dessus dans le moment ?. Une bonne description d'un jour de bonheur dans la vie Ai-je bien lu que ton gars a fait de l'armée ? Je sens tout le brou ha ha qui s'est passé chez vous avec ta gang...Je te comprends de savourer ces bons moments, et surtout savoir en profiter. arrivedeche...Kilk. xxx