Friday, August 27, 2010

ASSERTING ONESELF!

I’m working from home this morning. My brother, Bird, has to be at the clinic later today for a lung scan, and driving into and out of the city twice in one day is time consuming, and costly (gas). Once again I am thankful that my little computer dude was able to connect my home outfit to the office server – I’ll only make the trip once.

I have plans to leave for Detroit next Thursday, spend the long weekend with Suzie, then make the return drive on the following Tuesday. As usually happens when I schedule days off, events occur making it nearly impossible to take them without feeling harassed or guilty. This time the hospital decided to participate; they called last week and gave my brother two appointments. One is on Tuesday, for the results of a biopsy (from a lump on his tongue); then another on Wednesday, for the results of the lung scan. He requested that both be done on the same day, but no, it’s not possible. Because the clinic is in the city, it involves distance, waiting rooms, and rush hour traffic. Each appointment takes up nearly a full day, so it means no office work will be possible.

To further complicate matters, one of our clients called yesterday, panicking because the government is now on his doorstep. Although we had warned him more than once that delays will only be tolerated for so long, he, like many owners of small businesses tend to do, decided that his hands-on jobs were more important than paperwork. Now he’s in trouble, and turning to us to get him out of it. We will; that’s part of our service, but it requires dropping everything else to handle the tons of documents. It also needs to be done quickly, and we’re already short-staffed; the employees return in mid-September.

Not so long ago, I would have cancelled my vacation to stay and take care of the problem. I eventually realized that, by doing this, I was never getting my much-needed holidays. The consequences were inevitable. I paid for it, both physically and emotionally.

Will I change my plans? Nope! The doggie caretaker is organised, Suzie’s sister (who is coming with me) has scheduled her days off and, most of all, I have sworn to myself that never again will I let myself be brought to my knees because of work. Anyway, it defeats the purpose. The short, but necessary, vacation is far less harmful that the climb back up the hill needed after running yourself ragged.

How’s that for asserting myself? I can feel an invisible hand patting my back with approval. It must belong to Kilroy – he’s been telling me for years to smarten up, LOL.

I’m not on vacation yet though. My break is over so I’ll get back to the numbers and phones. Hoping your day is interesting and fun; sending you a SMILE to help it along!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

2 comments:

polichon said...

Mosus que je suis content pour toi. Quelqu'un m'a déjà dit que le cimetière était plein de gens indispensables. So...voilà le message. Donnes toi la, la tape dans le dos, tu la mérites en titi, et f...l'ouvrage, elle sera là à ton retour.Moi je quitte vendredi pour Rimouski, je vais aux noces. De retour le mardi aussi. J'ai hâte de lire les péripéties de ton voyage à Détroit. Quand de vieilles amies se rencontrent ..il y a party. Kilr.

polichon said...

Il semble que tous les deux nous avons un frère sur lequel il faut veiller.Moi, çà me dérange émotivement de le voir s'embêter comme çà.. Je n'aime pas le voir dans son présent état d'esprit.