Wednesday, July 31, 2013

HELLO? HELLO?

The ID on the telephone said ‘Relais Bell’.

Damn, do I owe them more money? This was the thought going through my mind as I picked up the receiver. My usual query of ‘hello?’ was answered by a nice male voice which proceeded to tell me that this was a call from Tele-Bell, then he asked if I was familiar with it. Thinking he meant the television, for which my server is Bell, I responded that yes, all my services were with that company. I heard him say ‘no, no!...then something about deaf or hard of hearing. Uh-oh, I said to myself, another survey!

“No, I’m maybe half asleep, but not deaf, sir,” I stated. “And I’m sorry, but I have no time for a survey right now.”

I can imagine him thinking ‘No lady, but you are slightly dense!’ as he quickly explained to me that a deaf person was calling me, and he would translate word for word what this person wanted to tell me, and that I was to speak slowly and clearly to him as if I was talking directly to that person, and that when I finished I must state ‘Your turn’.

It was an employee of one of my clients. Her request was that I prepare her 4% vacation pay. It was nothing complicated, but the experience was a first for me, and a pleasant one to boot. I had not been aware that such a service existed. When I hung up the phone, I marvelled at how simple it was to encourage precious independence for those with that particular physical handicap. Granted, I am not sure that I would hold a hot and lusty conversation with a lover this way – it’s the three’s a crowd thing – but for ordinary conversation it was ideal.

Then, with my devious mind, I began to wonder if the translators have not maybe heard things to turn their ears red as they transferred messages back and forth. This, of course, led to my thinking up some repartee that would have the callers chuckling as they imagined the expression on the shocked, or amused, or embarrassed human performing the service. As the brain worked, back came memories of two 14 year old girls purposely fabricating some wild stories because they knew there were people listening in on the telephone party line (Yes – it was Dawna and Yours truly).

You know – that had me SMILING for the rest of the day!! Sharing with y’all!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

No comments: