Thursday, August 1, 2013

BUILDING BRIDGES

Finally!

After 7 months of nasty emotions and hurt feelings, my DIL and I have made a tentative peace. She stopped in at the house last night, at my request...and prodding from my youngest son, no doubt... so that we could talk it out.

It can never be the same. The bridge was blown, and it will take some time to rebuild, but at least the plans are laid. Hopefully a stronger structure will come out of the turmoil.

The Rug rats have been clamouring to visit Mémère, and they are 3 very determined young fellows. God bless little children!!

I know my daughter and older son are waiting to see how things turned out; they both contacted me earlier last night (as did my oldest Rug rat), delighted that the meet was to take place.

The disruption of our close-knit group was more than just unpleasant. My children realize what is to be gained from the strength of a loving family; it’s a rock to build on and is precious and priceless. We were worried that the Rug rats were missing out on an important part of growing up – the teasing and playing with aunts and uncles and cousins. Things memories are made of, moments that surely also influence one’s decisions when it’s your turn to confront this big, crazy world as an adult. We are each backup for the other, the calm port when seas get too rough.

My DIL left here with a bag of scones and a basket of fresh strawberries – the boys love them and would demolish one in no time while living here with me. It was my way of telling them that Mémère was back, and that our search for fairies is on again!!

As I prepared for bed, I imagined the expressions on their sleepy, round faces when opening the fridge in the morning to find the fruit, and as any grandmother would do with such a picture in mind, I SMILED.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: