Thursday, July 25, 2013

PUSH BUTTON RESPONSE

Another day spent largely on the telephone, pressing 1 for this, and 2 for that, and 3 for something else, until I could talk to a REAL person, who would put me on hold every two minutes or so to go and ‘verify’ any info I required. Whatever happened to those knowledgeable civil servants who could answer inquiries without having to look it up? Have they all retired?? I guess that’s a useless question.

In any case, all the address changes for Helen have been made, so she is now feeling less anxious and more at home. She was also tickled to hear that my son, during his stopover for coffee last night, turned to his Japanese wife and stated, “Well, I guess we’ll have two old ladies to look after when the time comes.” Such acceptance, although it could have been expressed in more complimentary terms, is good for self esteem.

It was my favorite kind of weather today; lots of sun but still cool enough for a sweater (with big pockets for balls and treats) and great for walking with the doggies. The latter part of the afternoon was passed doing just that, much to their delight. Smooch is responding well to training, and Grump is always the perfect companion on or off leash. The two kitties followed behind us slowly, trying to pretend that they were above such silly creatures as canines, but ever watchful of their antics with the squeaky balls. We returned to the house for their supper, which I dished out of the slow cooker where it had been simmering since early morning. I’ve been feeding them more meat than fabricated pet food lately, mixed with pure pumpkin to add fiber and keep intestines healthy. It makes a big difference, especially for Smooch-of the-delicate-stomach, and the cost is about the same if one can visit a butcher for pieces he would discard or sell cheap anyway.

I have a worker/visitor coming to spend the weekend, and welcome he will be! The grass and yard are due for attention, there is a long list of small repairs for the predicted rainy Sunday, and Helen could use some arm-power to carry more boxes upstairs to her room. It’s not at all a bad return for a couple of home-cooked meals and the benefits of enjoying our fresh, clear mountain bush air. A win-win situation.

I’m in that insomnia stage again, where I grab sleep when I can, always fearing (often accurately) that it will be the last for the next 24 hours. Right now I do believe that Morpheus has sneaked in here and is nudging me towards my bed. I won’t take the chance on missing his brief stay, so will say goodnight to y’all.

Sending you big SMILES to sweeten your dreams!!

Luv from the bush in Quebec

No comments: