Saturday, March 23, 2013

THAT PREVENTIVE STUFF...

I dislike dealing with doctors or tests, so procrastinate as long as possible before doing those things one should do on a regular basis – preventive medicine, I believe it’s called. If I go at all, it’s because I’m sick. Of course, my timing is way off, meaning that when I am in need of his expertise, it’s still impossible to get an appointment with my family doctor before 6 to 8 weeks, if I’m lucky. Sitting for hours in hospital emergency clinic is not an option in my mind. I’ll go for private care if I have the money. Usually I’ll wait it out, using home or over the counter remedies to heal myself. Most of the time my methods are successful. Last December was not one of those times.

After being told that I had could die and organise a state funeral before my own doc would be available, and learning that the private clinic I had frequented on other occasions was now closed, I resorted to calling a place suggested by my daughter. They gave me an appointment for the next day, and I was examined by a young lady who questioned and probed, then prescribed antibiotics for acute bronchitis, but not before lining up a battery of tests and scans and x-rays that she insisted I should have done, due to my age, etc.

UGH!

I took the medicine, and it helped some, but not entirely, so after waiting for a bit, and because I was being badgered by Suzie, I decided to schedule the x-ray and scan. The results were to be sent to the young lady I had seen, as well as to my own doctor, with whom I was to follow up by appointment. Imagine my surprise when I arrived at my doc’s office to find that he had moved! Fortunately I was early so, after getting his address from the pharmacy downstairs, I actually arrived at his new downtown office without being late.

I was slightly miffed – why hadn’t I been told of the address change when the appointment was made? I ask the receptionist. Ummm – maybe because he has moved two years ago? she replied.

Oops.

I accepted his scolding with grace, even nodded when he gave me the ‘annual check-up’ spiel. I wasn’t so agreeable when he scheduled MORE tests and appointments; I’m sure it’s just so I uphold my end of our bargain on that preventive stuff.

There was a light moment when I wondered aloud why no-one had yet invented an ‘eternal youth’ potion.

“Too easy.” He remarked. “Then I’d never see you.”

“You think?” I asked, and we both SMILED.

Luv from the Bush in QUebec

No comments: