Sunday, March 24, 2013

VERY,VERY BUSY...OR NOT.

My I-Phone beeped, signalling an incoming text message. The distinctive whistle told me it was from my youngest son, the daddy of the Rug rats. I was surprised. I hadn’t heard much from him since his last visit with the boys; the one where he had rushed them away within minutes of receiving his GF’s call, indignant that they were with me. The only contact after that was a short sentence saying he was too busy to help me move the china cabinet I had been given. He never did follow up to see if I had managed to take care of the move myself.

Now he was asking if I would be home later that evening. He added that his silence wasn’t due to his being angry (??) or anything, just that he was very, very busy, but he would like to drop by tonight. From the gist of his message, I could tell that his sister had read him the riot act – Mom misses you. After I assured him that I would be available, I contacted my daughter and she confirmed my suspicion. She had let him know that he was being unfair whether he realised or not.

“And just talk about him!” she warned me. “Don’t mention the GF.”

He showed up with a bottle of wine, but without the boys. He had already said that it was a school night, so too late for them to be up. We chatted while watching the hockey game. His new job, which he likes; the rug rats, they were fine; his busy-ness, renovating her house, children’s birthday parties invites, and visiting friends; his losing weight (too much in my opinion); my upcoming trip to Japan. He filled a bag with his moose meat from my freezer (he doesn’t have a large freezer at home), I gave him a loaf of fresh bread, and that was it. On his way out, he brought up the subject both of us were very careful to avoid.

“You could call the house sometimes,” he said. ‘She (his GF) is going on about you still not wanting to talk to her. You should call.”

“Hmmm – yes, but I’m very, very busy.” I used his excuse, and I hope he got it. One day maybe, but not yet; the wound has to heal.

I returned to my seat on the couch, my heart sad with the gap that now existed between us; hoping that, for his sake, she was worth it. My faithful doggies jumped up and cuddled, one on each side. Their action changed my attitude.

“It’s all about lack of loyalty,” I told them. “Maybe what I should do is go right over there and kick her ass! His too!! Get it over with! What do you guys think?”

They wagged their tails. As long as it wasn’t their asses getting kicked, they were fine with whatever I decided. Their reaction made me SMILE.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: