Sunday, March 3, 2013

THAT FEELING....

Everything seemed to be going my way yesterday, and I still can’t put my finger on why I was so uptight. I could sense it before I got out of bed in the morning – could feel the weight of my mental shield hanging from my hand, ready to be thrown up at a moment’s notice. I searched my mind for a hint of what could be bothering me and found nothing that merited this premonition of potential frustration or doom. I decided to ignore it, to get on with things I had to do, but noticed that it didn’t go away. It stayed there, lurking just under the surface – a damned nuisance.

As I said, all else was flowing well. I had X-rays to pass in the morning and, surprisingly, I was in and out of there in 20 minutes. How often does that happen? Every light was green as I drove along; in spite of the crowds, I had immediate access to each cashier in the different stores when I did my shopping; the short visit with my friend, Helen, was pleasant; and Smooch hadn’t destroyed anything while I was away.

Ah – but my TV wasn’t working! The satellite was offline, and there was a hockey game coming on. Maybe this was what my ever present foreboding of dire things to come was trying to tell me?

Could it be a server problem? I texted an inquiry to my neighbour. No, he replied, his was working fine. Maybe I had snow on my dish, he suggested. When I went outside to check, I found the wire imbedded in ice. After a few well-placed slaps with a shovel, the ice fell, and the TV was back on. But the feeling was still there.

I poured a glass of red wine and went out to play with the doggies. An hour or so later I decided to come inside and do some cooking. It’s an activity I enjoy, and the chopping and measuring and stirring tends to relax me. I threw the makings into my bread machine (yesterday’s loaf had disappeared, half with my daughter and the other to Helen), prepared Cauliflower au gratin (a new recipe), and deboned the roast chicken for soup. By now hockey was starting, so I added wood to the fireplace and settled to watch the action. The HABS lost, but it was an exciting play.

The time spent in the kitchen and watching the game had the desired effect of distraction, but didn’t rid me of the nagging tension. Even Morpheus, who actually showed up last night, has been unable to dispel the unease. It’s still there this morning, hovering on the edge, just out of sight.

Well, you know what? The bugger can go to the devil! I will leave it there to stew. It will be handled when it shows its face – a crossing the bridge when I come to it, so to speak.

In the meantime, we’ll smother its vague, annoying promise with SMILES; ear –to-ear, happy, giggly SMILES. It works every time!! Uptightness be gone!!!

Sending that SMILE out and about - it will be in your vicinity soon!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

No comments: