Wednesday, August 19, 2009

AND WHAT DID I DO TO YOU?

The swelling in my leg was getting worse, and painful. Because my doctor’s office is a 45 minute drive from home, I called his receptionist early Monday morning, explained that I must have lost the prescription for the anti-inflammation medication, and could he please fax another to my pharmacy? “The doctor isn’t in before Tuesday,” she told me abruptly, “and you’ll have to come to the office if you want another prescription.” When I repeated my request for the fax, she answered that it would be a long time before that would happen. In other words – if you want your prescription anytime soon, lady, get your butt over here and pick it up, and arrive before 2 PM., or go without. Her attitude on the telephone left much to be desired. Oh well, everyone has a bad day now and then.

Needless to say, I spent another sleepless night. Tylenol took away some of the pain, but not enough to be comfortable. I was pretty grumpy by the time I limped into the doctor’s office this morning, but the two receptionists seemed even grumpier. Hardly looking at me, one of them told me to sit and wait; she would ask him to write it out between seeing two patients. When I asked how long I could expect to wait, she replied, “He’s not going to interrupt his session with a patient just to make your prescription.” Still bewildered by her surliness, I reminded her that I had travelled a long distance, and that a fax would have been easier for all of us. Her response was “It’s not our fault you lost your prescription!”

Okay. I couldn’t argue with that, but one doesn’t lose things on purpose, and her attitude was totally lacking professionalism. I limped over to a chair, wondering what I’d done to merit that kind of treatment. They see me once a year, for Heaven’s sake, and it’s just in and out. Maybe the $1.00 long distance fax charge was too big an expense for the doctor’s office?

During the next 40 minutes, two patients, one after the other, went in, then out, and I still hadn’t been called. I could feel my temper rising. “If they make me wait for one more,” I fumed silently, “they had better have a damned good reason!” It was 5 minutes before noon when one of my objects of displeasure waddled out from behind the desk and locked the waiting room door.

“It’s lunchtime,” she stated shortly. The three of us still sitting there glanced at each other. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one thinking that, with her size, missing a lunch would only do her good. I saw an elderly man peer through the small window in the door. Of all the bloody nerve! She had locked it right in his face! It was too much for me so, looking neither left nor right, I limped over and opened it to let him enter. The poor fellow thanked me, and then shuffled over to the desk. He told the receptionists that he had just finished passing tests at the hospital and needed to pick up a paper before returning to pass some more. They grumbled something about it being dinnertime, but did give him his paper.

Maybe they were worried that I’d let someone else in, because I heard my name called. The receptionist who had talked to me on the telephone the day before busied herself near me, changing paper on the examination table. My doctor, a nice young chap, smiled when he saw me. “I’m sorry, I must have lost the prescription you gave me,” I told him, as I lowered myself to a chair beside his desk.

“No, no!” he replied. “It was me who forgot to give it to you. I noticed after you had left, but figured you would call and we could fax it over to your pharmacy.”

WHAT!!??

I turned to look at the receptionist. She was keeping her head down, but I knew she could hear every word we were saying. Just in case her ears were as bad as her attitude, I raised my voice when I told the doctor what had happened and how rudely I had been treated. It was evident he was embarrassed by the situation, so I stopped short of stating that any employee in my office would be severely reprimanded, if not dismissed, in similar circumstances.

Eh bien, all’s well that ends well. My growling had already subsided during my long drive back, my prescription safely in my pocket. The weather was great, the truck windows open, and I was on vacation, after all. How can one stay upset? I stopped at my youngest son’s home to give my daughter-in-law her birthday present, and any residual anger was blown away by the many sweet hugs and kisses from my two little grandsons. I’ve started the medication and, hopefully, will not have to spend the rest of my vacation days limping!

I sat outside on my gallery, a cool drink in hand, doggies at my feet, and admired my mountain view as I thought back over the event. I suppose I should count myself lucky even having a family doctor, or easy access to medical help. There are many who go without, and need it more. Dealing with sick people on a regular basis must make it difficult to stay in good humour. However, you know what you’re getting into when you choose that type of profession…..

The result of my musing was definite. “Yep,” I said out loud to my doggies. “Excuses aside, if any employee at our office did that, I would CAN her ass!!” They both wagged their tails. Any decision I made was good with them.

Was it important? Not really. So enough with the complaining, and bring on the SMILES. Life is good.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

It seems that your doctor,s SY must be a relative of my dr's SY. Both grumpy and never a smile. I think that they are people hired at a min wage and no brains. Funny that these controversies take place during your vacation week. The moral of the story is don't go on vacation and never be sick.(LOL). You take care...do you hear? KIL..XXX