Saturday, August 8, 2009

A SURPRISE VISIT

I love mornings! As a child, I would be out of bed early, certain that a new event would take place that day। Something always did, even if it was limited to discovering a new trail through the bush, learning a new word, opening a book I had never read before, finding a new silhouette in the tree tops and giving it a name (I was an avid �Anne of Green Gables� fan, thus bestowed names on everything on the farm)। Granted, if it was a bad day my outlook was somewhat jaded by bedtime, but the next morning the excitement would start all over again. Fortunately, for the most part, I�ve been able to keep that feeling in spite of the more serious trials and tribulations of adulthood (is that a word?).One never knows how the day will unfold.



Thursday morning was no exception. I was driving to work and listening to the messages that had been left on my cellular phone. There was one from my sister, Judy, who spends her time between her houses in Alberta and New Brunswick, telling me that she would be stopping by that evening on her drive to Ontario. Kool!!

When Judy finally arrived late Thursday evening, it was even kooler! With her were her daughter (I had last seen this girl when she was about 10 years old), her daughter�s new baby, and another 11 year old niece (her mom is my youngest sis) whom I had never met. What a great evening we spent together! I had picked up my brother, Bird, so that he could join us in the mini family reunion. We sat and did catching up, some strolling down memory lane, and a lot of laughing � until 4 AM!! They were up and on their way to Ontario by noon the next day, leaving me with total awe for the baby, Finn, who entered this world only 3 months ago, but is unbelievably alert � and as lovable as they come. I can say the same for both my nieces � and I hope they enjoyed the visit as much as my brother and I did.

Needless to say, I did not go into the city on Friday. After driving Bird home, then touching base by telephone with my office, I lazily strolled through the bush with the doggies, revelling in the lingering warmth of the time spent with such nice people, taking in the sunshine and the sounds of a summer day in the country, admiring the lush green of our many trees and grass, counting the daisies and brown-eyed Susans, picking wild raspberries. It was wonderful! Later in the evening I caught up on my Blogit authors, explored new writers on Blogspot, and sent a joyful �welcome back� to my friend, Kilroy, who has returned from his cruise to Alaska. I ended the day by submersing myself in an excellent book written by Louise Bagshawe (another new author for me) while eating a huge piece of blueberry cheesecake. It was sinfully delicious, worth knowing that I would have to starve myself all the next day to re-adjust my calorie intake, LOL!

I wake up this Saturday morning to gorgeous sunshine! There�s a slight disappointment in not being able to attend the live AC/DC show tonight in Montreal, but it will pass. Everything happens for a reason, so if I don�t get to see my favourite group rock the city, it is because there is something else reserved for me this day. What can it be??
Whatever it is, I�ll be waiting, and smiling in anticipation.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

This is the first time I've heard you mention the name of a sister of yours that existed. If she has yiur character, then I will like her too.