Saturday, August 22, 2009

A MOTHER'S PASSING

I wasn’t looking forward to the funeral. The deceased lady had been found alone in her apartment. Her torment from a long history of substance abuse was over. The authorities contacted her only child, a young man dear to my heart. He is a close friend of my son, therefore of our whole family and, a few years ago, had shared our lodgings while studying to become an engineer. He was still reeling from learning of his wife’s 12 month secret love affair, the necessity of selling his new home, and having to adjust to seeing his two year old twins every second week, none of it at his instigation – and now this.

I knew he would be strong and would bear up with dignity, because that is his way. He stood with his head high, his face inscrutable, surrounded by his numerous, sympathetic friends, and his father’s second family. What saddened me most was thinking that his mother, because of the troubled, and troublesome, path she had trod in her lifetime, would be passing on leaving only her son to remember and mourn her with any kind of love. I’m sure many people considered it a blessing in disguise.

A person rose from her seat and made her way to the pulpit, holding a sheaf of papers in shaking hands. Sincere sorrow laced her voice as she told us of days gone by; days when her friend, now just ashes in an urn at her feet, had danced and sang and loved and laughed; the days before, and between, the bouts of a depressing and consuming alcohol addiction. As my eyes filled with tears, I silently thanked the speaker. The son bowed his head. I am sure that he felt as I did. His mother’s life still meant something to someone else after all.

When it was over, and I was in my truck on my way home, I sent her out my message by telepathy. “Well, Suzie, “I told her, “Maybe your turbulent existence was needed to make him strong. If that’s the case, your life was a success...”

I didn’t need to add that I hoped, for her next time around, she would have an easier time of it. The feeling was there, and I’m certain she understood.

No comments: