Monday, July 16, 2012

WHO SAID BELFRY?



One of my favourite inventions is the cordless telephone, in spite of how often I have to hunt for the darned thing when I need to use it. The reason I like them so much is that I don’t sit to chat on a phone – I’m a stroller. I can walk through every room in the house while having a good conversation. Up and down, all around I go. It’s a habit that can drive any occupant residing with me crazy, especially when I wander into the immediate area where that person is watching TV. My voice carries well too, so the combination of these things can be slightly annoying.

All this to tell you that I was having a charming conversation with a friend last night, taking my usual stroll... and something caught my eye. What was hanging from one of my lampshades? Still chatting, I edged closer, wanting a better look. Wow, I thought silently, that’s some huge butterfly!

I was engrossed in my conversation, so the first glance was just cursory. I went on by, turned and came back, passed it, maybe five or six times, each time looking at it a little longer. No –not a butterfly. Maybe a giant moth?

Finally I bent over to look at it from underneath. It was the weirdest moth I had ever seen.

“I’ve got this thing hanging from my lamp,” I tell my friend on the other end of the line. “It looks like a huge moth, but I don’t know...” While describing it to her, my suspicions grew.

"What does a bat look like?" I asked her. With her help, I determined that, yes; it was a bat, albeit not a very big one. I know very little about them. They are (were) not a creature that held my interest; in fact I was leery of them. Still, I couldn’t just leave it there, so we said our goodbyes and I stood back to stare at it. A plan of action was needed.

I have encountered bats in buildings now and then, but there had been males around to chase them away. This time I was on my own. It didn’t seem to be nervous – I had walked right up to it more than once while still on the phone. I decided to chance it staying put, and went to faithful old Google. When I typed ‘Bats in the House’, a load of information was at my disposal, and many myths died a sudden death.

The two most important points: it could have rabies (bad, but it’s rare); it eats millions of insects, like pesky mosquitoes (very, very good!). Unless there was a possibility of it having bit someone or something, just put it outside and let it go.

The doggies were outside. I brought them in through another door and shut them away. I opened all the doors and windows that led to the exterior, put on the lights, then grabbed my leather gloves and a broom. We were ready. Oops – where’s my camera? Like the phone, I can never find it when I want it!!

The dogs were making noise on the other side of the door, so I quit hunting for it, even if I really wanted a picture. Maybe I was pushing my luck. It was time to get things done.

The bat hadn’t moved. With a soft stroke, I brushed it off the shade. It fell/flew to the floor and stayed there.

"You’re supposed to fly outside!” I said. It wasn’t budging. Okay, on to plan number B.

I retrieved some cardboard sheets from my office and a plastic dish from the kitchen cupboard. Moving slowly, I put the dish over the little bat, then slid the cardboard under the dish. I picked the whole thing up in gloved hands and walked outside, then shook the dish over the gallery railing. My visitor disappeared into the darkness. I couldn’t see if it flew, or if it just sailed down onto the lawn.

It only took a few minutes to close everything up again. I kept the dogs inside. If the little creature was still in the grass, I didn’t want my hunter, Smooch, to find it. No use taking chances.

Proud of my ‘sang-froid’? You’re darned tootin’! Besides, I learned a lot from this episode, and now have a healthy appreciation of bats.

I’m even more delighted that I didn’t have to kill it. That thought alone makes me SMILE.

Sharing it with you as always, folks!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: