Tuesday, July 10, 2012

MEET DORA

Little Dora - a new tenant!


It was 5:30 AM when my grandson came upstairs to hug me goodbye. He’s off to the other side of the country for another 30 days of work. His little girlfriend will find it difficult, I know. I remember how just a few hours of separation from ‘the love of your life’ can hurt, can seem to last forever. No matter the thought that it would be worse if he was going to war – he isn’t, but it’s the absence that counts at the moment, not the reason.

She is planning to bring in plants, has pictures ready to hang on the wall, and has already moved in her little kitten named Dora. The door between our respective living spaces is always closed, and Dora will be an ‘indoor’ cat, but I will still have to keep a very careful eye on our hunter, Smooch. It would take one second for someone to forget closing the door tight...and I don’t even want to think about the result. I’m trying to train Smooch to not hurt smaller animals, but the instinct is obviously there. Can one change instincts, I wonder?

Marie and I don’t know each other well. “I don’t think you’ll see her that much,” my grandson told me. “She’s very shy.”

We didn’t get to spend time with one another since she moved in; those ten days were reserved for Fred when she wasn’t working. Last night, suspecting that she would be more at ease if I spoke to her in his presence, I knocked and went down to chat a moment. Well, okay, I wanted to see the kitten too, and to make sure the mouse poison had been safely removed. I told her to come on up (‘Just make sure you close the door behind you!’) if she needed anything. I also mentioned that she might want to give me her work schedule. During those periods when Fred is away, I do my vacuuming or laundry at 3 AM in the morning if I happen to be up...read often... and I know her summer job involves shift work. The central-vac is located just outside her bedroom, and it makes one heck of a racket, and the laundry room is downstairs too. I may have to change my ways, LOL!

I hope she will be happy here out in the bush, for her sake as well as that of my grandson. Time will tell.

In the meantime, I will also have a regular visitor in my 7 year old grandson, Nalou. School being out, he’ll be spending some days working with M’mère when his parents are on shifts. We go to pick up the two younger boys from daycare at 4:30, then I take them to their own home for supper and bath and bed.

Changes! I spent over a year living here alone with Bud and Grump, then just Grump. Slowly but surely the house is filling up again, and that thought makes me SMILE.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: