Sunday, July 29, 2012

I CAN REMEMBER....

Bali, the wildest of the rug rats


It was a walk down memory lane.

In this particular store, I am usually in the pet section, buying dog food, or treats, or toys. Yesterday I was strolling the baby area: bibs, plastic spoons, soothers, security gate...and all those cute outfits that will make any mom or granny go “Awww. So cute!”. In spite of temptation, I didn’t buy clothes, but the basics that every house with a baby could need: shampoo, and soap, fever syrup, wipes – all those things I haven’t bought for 30 years; all those things that I just know my son will forget to pack whenever it is our turn to keep the boys.

From there I went for groceries. Once again, memories came flooding back. Shopping for one, and mostly organic foods, is much different than for a young family. Trying hard to recall what my own children had enjoyed, I went from aisle to aisle; the end result was a full cart and a whopping amount to pay the lady at the checkout. My son didn’t even raise an eyebrow when I gave him the bill later; apparently it is normal costs to feed a family of five.

On the way home, I stopped at one of my daughter’s friends. She runs a daycare, and had an extra high chair and potty to lend me. After things were set up back at the house, I looked around and marveled at how different the rooms looked. Any breakable decoration had been put away; there were toys and books and kiddie stuff here and there. Even the feel of the place has changed. Although only the doggies and I were home at the moment, one could sense that silence and serenity has given way to giggles and noise and lively action.

Hmmm. Was I ready for this?

Jo had left just before noon, taking the rug rats to spend the day at his dad’s lake. He would be staying there for supper. I suspected that he wanted to give me some space to gear up for days ahead. This week I’ll have the boys to myself while he is at work, and he is very aware of how much my routine will be altered. I was beginning to realize it too. Occasional babysitting does not require the same energy as living nearly full time.

When they did arrive, it was quite late. Jo came up the stairs carrying a very sleepy Bali. Knowing that he would have to go back down for the baby, I held out my arms, and the wildest of my grandsons came to me easily, all cuddly and sweet. I stole at least 10 kisses before we made it to his bed. With one last hug and a little boy grin, he turned over and slipped into dreamland. I tucked the blankets around him, and doubts about our ability to make this work disappeared. I leaned over and gave him one more kiss, and I SMILED.

Luv from The Bush in Quebec.

No comments: