Friday, July 6, 2012

SMOOCH AND 'BACK'


I take time each day to work with Smooch, who is now 6 months old. Because of the other dogs running around outside, most of the training is done in the house where he can focus. One activity that he enjoys is when I roll a ball to the end of the hall and tell him to ‘Fetch!’ He learned pretty quickly that obeying my command to “Bring it back” merits a yummy treat and high praise.

The first thing I do when we go out for our walks is hurl a ball down the hill. Smooch looks forward to the chase. Sometimes I don’t ask him to fetch right away, instead leaving him to play for a bit before we begin to train. He’ll pick it up and throw it further down the hill himself, running after it, doing it again and again. When the training does start, he may or may not return to me immediately. His response, especially with Grump as a distraction, is rather erratic. He is getting better though, yet the other day his obedience was the last thing I wanted!

I had thrown the ball onto the lower lawn, and away went Smooch, ears flapping in the wind. “Fetch!” I called to him. He was halfway down the hill when something on the ground caught his attention. He abruptly stopped, whipped around, and with his nose to the ground, went off to the side.

“Smooch!” I yelled. “The ball! Bring it back!” The darned pup didn’t even look at me. I saw see him pick something up and shake it.

Not another poor little chipmunk!” I was thinking as I hurried toward him. Whatever is was escaped for a second, but man - that dog is fast!! It looked like he was spitting out grass before he pounced again, and I knew the victim was once more in his jaws. I kept repeating loudly for him to “bring it back”, attempting to remind him that he was supposed to be listening. He looked up at me, saw that I was getting closer, and decided that he would do as he was told. Only then was I able to see what he was carrying, and OH MY GOD!!

I froze! “No-no-no!” I yelled in panic. “NO!! Get back – Smooch, get BACK!!!” Understanding only the word ‘back’, and no doubt expecting a treat, Smooch kept trotting toward me...and I still don’t know how I was able to stay upright on my suddenly shaky legs, for dangling from his mouth was a writhing SNAKE!!!

Somehow, in my haze of terror, I realized that “Back” was not a word I should be using unless I wanted that thing dropped at my feet. I believe I started screaming ‘PUCK OFF WITH THAT, SMOOCH!! GET AWAY!”, but I wouldn’t swear it. Maybe I was just thinking it, because I was beginning to hyperventilate. I’m not sure I even got a word out. I certainly didn’t want him near me...and I feared that within seconds I’d be crumpled on the ground, a weak mass of shudders and shivers. I don’t know whether it was the confusion caused by my contradictory commands, or if that thing just managed to wiggle free – but Smooch lost it. He was spitting over and over. Being the hard headed pit, he continued trying to pick it up again. Unsuccessfully, thank the Lord!

I don’t know how long I stood there, gasping and trying to calm my nerves. My legs felt like jelly – but there was no way I was going to even kneel with that reptile still crawling around out there somewhere! Grump came over and nosed my hand, wondering what the fuss was about, but Smooch, after having pawed under the rocks for awhile, realized that his prey had escaped, so happily retrieved and continued to play with his ball. Needless to say, it was the end of training for that outing.

I live in the bush, and am aware there are creepy, crawly things here. This is the first time I have actually seen one on my land. I expect the dogs moving ahead of me make them scurry to hide, letting me enjoy my walk, pretending that they do not exist; out of sight, out of mind sort of thing. Smooch spoiled my illusion. He must have wondered why I was shunning him the rest of the day. UGH!

Yes, well, things happen for a reason. I have dreamed about snakes on occasion, and I would awake sweating, terrified to even put a foot on the floor beside the bed. It would take a light and much self-talk until I could come to my senses. I can’t explain why, when a snake showed up in my dream that night, I was quite calm, even when I recalled it the next morning. I stand in awe – I can actually think about one and not shudder. Could it be that Smooch inadvertently cured my phobia?

Maybe. We’ll see with time. I’m sure not going hunting for one to confirm either way. I’m also avoiding that patch beneath the rocks where all this happened. I watch very carefully when Smooch goes running, his ears alert, if it’s not in the direction of a ball. I’m sure any neighbor who sees me is wondering about my sanity and why, in all this heat, I am wearing rubber boots instead of sandals.

I’m sure you can picture it – and I expect it will make you SMILE. That’s okay – I’m laughing about it now too, so can SMILE right along with you.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: