Sunday, September 26, 2010

CHAPTERS, & CHANGES

We had been in the bookstore for at least 3 hours before either of us noticed the time. Chapters has a way of absorbing bookworms. One can wander around, select editions, read a chapter or two before deciding to drop it into your bag for purchase, or reluctantly return it to the shelf because you’ve already busted your budget. There were many on sale, marked down from 25$ to 5$, so I managed to add a couple of new (to me) writers to my choices.

On entering the store, Helen and I had each gone our own way, drawn to our personal interest sections, but met again in the long line at the cashier counter. In spite of the crowd, the excellent service had us rung up in no time. Yep, I spent more than planned; a normal occurrence whenever I go for books. We headed for the Starbucks concession. We couldn’t leave without having one of their famous ‘lattés’. There was a table installed near the bottom of the stairs, and there I met a Canadian author promoting her best-sellers. It was Sheila Kindellan-Sheehan, and she signed the copy of her The Sands Motel for me. I agreed to send her my comments by e-mail after reading it.

It was mid-afternoon by the time I got back home. My doggies were waiting for me impatiently. The hours spent at the office last week kept them shut in the house for longer than usual each day; and now Saturday I was away again? In an attempt to make up for the lack of attention, I decided to forego housework and take them for a long walk. It didn’t hurt that the weather was beautiful, the fall colours vibrant, and my own desire to wander around outside was far stronger than that of pushing a mop. And I knew they would be alone again for the evening. My Cuban friends had invited me to their house for a fondue; an occasion one does not miss. I attended, had a wonderful time surrounded by laughter, music and delicious food, then made sure to hug and play with the doggies for at least an hour when I returned home at midnight.

Little do they know, but because of my guilt about leaving them alone for such long periods last week, the doggies have pushed me to do what should have been done ages ago. Thursday I advised the employees and the associates (who are still there for the time being) that I would be working from home on Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting tomorrow. Not only will I make better use of the 4 to 5 hours spent in traffic each of those days, but my dogs will have a more normal life. A good pit-bull is a tired pit-bull. Bud, older and slower because of his cancer, finds it less difficult, but Grump, still young and VERY active, is showing his boredom by being constantly underfoot when I am at home. He’s becoming high-strung; not a good thing with his breed. A lap-dog he is not! Besides, technology permits me to work directly on the office server, telephone and fax machines are available, and meeting with clients can be scheduled the three days I will be in the city. My decision is made; now I just have to stick to it!

It is cool and gray and very windy outside right now, but still good for putting on a warm sweater and jogging out with my four-legged companions. I do eventually have to get to the housework too, so leave you now, wishing you a happy day. Sending you my SMILE!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

Content que tu ais pu passer du bon temps à lire chez Chapters. Drôle que je n'aie jamais mis les pieds là. Tu me donnes le goût. Je vais en trouver un tout près et y aller.Je constate que tu adoptes une attitude de force avec tes associés. Sage de rester à la maison deux jours par semaine. Le déplacement pour te rendre en ville doit te coûter un bras. KILR...xxx