Sunday, May 2, 2010

FROM THE MOUTHS OF CHILDREN....

It’s taking me forever to wake up. I think I could snuggle into my comfy bed and sleep, and sleep, and sleep. I was yawning while babysitting my two little grandchildren last night. After the third or fourth time, Nalu, the 5 year old, glanced up at me from his game of WII and asked “Are you bored, M’mère?” I laughingly assured him that, no, I couldn’t ever be bored with him and his brother, but that it felt as if I’d been running a mile forever. Trust a child to cut to the quick.

“I’ve never seen you run,” he answered, his big brown eyes thoughtful, wondering how he had missed such a sight, probably having difficulty picturing his old granny racing around the yard. The comment made me laugh, and got him a tight hug and a kiss. It also made me think.

He was right. The running I’ve been doing (it seems like forever!) is happening in my mind. Physically I’m a lost case. I spend so many hours sitting in front of the computer both at the office and a home that my body is turning into a huge chunk of Jell-O. From a lady who was an avid participant in hockey, softball, basketball and swimming, not counting the long walks in demanding bush trails, I have become a chair potato. Hell, I feel shaky when I get to the top of the stairs which, fortunately, I need to climb both at home and at work. If not, the only exercise I’d get at all would be pushing my roller chairs back with my toes! Oh – and jumping up and down when the Canadiens score a goal…that doesn’t happen often enough to count.

So – guess where I’m going now? To Canadian Tire where I will finally purchase the treadmill I’ve been thinking about. I’ll put it in front of my large living room window, right beside the sound system, where I can gaze out at my mountain as I attempt to sweat myself back into an acceptable shape. It’s a start. I’m trying to be realistic. I know plenty of hours are required to keep our businesses going, so there is no point making resolutions I can’t keep. I really DON’T have the time to join a swimming club, or play hockey or softball – and the black flies will keep me from walking in the bush for at least another month. I also expect to be watching my Canadiens televised hockey games for a few more weeks. My TV is placed perfectly – I can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. I’ll walk, they’ll skate…on our way to victory!!!

It is already past noon, and the game starts at two. If I want to get into town then back to the bush for the first period, I need to get a move on.

Wishing you all a wonderful day, sending you a big grin of anticipation!!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

2 comments:

Mike's Common Sense said...

Hi Adnohr good to see you back. Hope you had a great tax season. Good luck getting back in shape and to your Canadians also!

polichon said...

Koolcat, you are looking for excuses not to exercise. There are no bugs or moskitoes where you work. Come on...30 minute walk during lunch hour is all you need. Give yourself a kick where necessary to get you going on this daily walk. Do it daily and feel the difference only after a week. come on là l'anglaise, let's go. I can understand that you are tired: however, do not listen to the little demons that are working on you. Keep me posted on your brother's health. Hope his moral is good. Kilroy....xxx