Sunday, January 31, 2010

THE BACKHOE

I never did make it to the office yesterday.

I was right about the backhoe tire venture. It wasn’t just the tube, but the tire itself, so it needed to be replaced. It took forever for the garage dude’s second truck to show up when this was determined, and we sat there waiting…waiting. When he finally did arrive and unloaded the replacement, it was not at all the same as those already on the machine, except for the size. This, of course, gave us two choices: leave the backhoe sitting there on the road wearing one tire until we could phone around and find the exact match, or have this one installed and purchase the second one to complete the pair. Because of the time already involved, and realizing that eventually the other one would have to be replaced anyway due to its age, I took the second option. It was well past 3 PM by the time the men finished, and then….the machine wouldn’t start! Fortunately one of my neighbours was able to bring his big truck to give it a boost, and by 4:30 PM we were back at the house, backhoe and all. Too late to head to the city office. Then, not upset enough about falling behind in my work, and the forced purchase depleting my bank account, I discovered that some idiot had decided to televise my hockey game at 2 in the afternoon instead of its usual Saturday night spot. Yep, missed that too. GRRR!

Not getting to the office yesterday means I need to go today, instead of working from home as had been planned. I’ll be heading there in a few minutes. At least there is no rush hour to endure – just the regular Sunday drivers.

An update on one of my former blogs – remember the e-mail pen pal from New Year’s Day? The one who asked us to pray for her husband after his open heart surgery? I received a message from her this morning. He is doing well, and the pacemaker is functioning as hoped. Did our prayers and positive waves help? No doubt. I am happy for them both, and extend a sincere thank you to all the readers who answered the call.

Gotta go, folks. There is no sun here today, so it’s easier for me to turn my back on this winter wonderland and shut myself away with columns & columns of numbers, LOL!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend – am sending you all a SMILE as my contribution!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: