Saturday, January 2, 2010

ON THE SECOND DAY OF NEW YEAR....

One of my favourite writers from the author’s site I have joined e-mailed me a complete story she had written, and I was looking forward to receiving and reading it. She sent it on Dec 27th, but it was still not in my mail-box. I was thinking of calling Sympatico.ca to complain, but it was New Year’s Day, and I really didn’t feel like losing a couple of hours on the phone, trying to understand broken English. Who needs that kind of frustration to begin the year? I decided to play with the ‘tools’ tab in Outlook (my mailbox) and, although not at all electronically talented, did something right. I think. Or maybe the dudes working at the main server switched on a lever during the night. Whatever happened, I not only received her story, but also 53 e-mails from various contacts...some of them written in October!!! I was flabbergasted! And very, very happy. Needless to say, I spent most of the second morning of 2010 reading and laughing (a lot of them were jokes) which, next to hockey, is my ‘cup of tea’.

I had planned to go shopping this afternoon but, due to all the time I spent on the computer, this did not happen. There is a Hab’s game staring at 5 PM, which I don’t want to miss, and then I am to go to Suzie’s house and celebrate her birthday (happening at midnight) with tequila... I need to find a designated driver, or sleep over at Suzie’s. I’d prefer the former, because I expect to be in the throes of a hangover tomorrow, and my own bed is where I’ll want to be. Do I sound like a glutton for punishment? Not really. A conversation with my friend this morning set my mind whirling. His words stung. The events of the past year, both at home and in business, HAVE turned me into a lady far too serious, too tense and not much fun anymore. Even when very tired, I didn’t usually have to force my smile. It appears all too infrequently at the present – a classic sign of burnout. Anyone who knows Suzie can vouch that her character, and our joint shenanigans, are a good staring point for the antidote to this flaw….so tonight I’m gonna let it all hang out! At least my groaning tomorrow will be for the right reasons, LOL!

My wise friend, Kilroy, was frank with his comment on my latest post. And, as usual, he was also right. Sometimes we lose sight of our needs, and tend to stubbornly look to the muddle inside for a solution, instead of accepting advice from those who care, who can be objective, and who are far clearer about what is required. Breaking habits is difficult. Every now and then we need a gentle nudge from a loving friend. Thank you, Kilroy!

Time to go – the Habs will be on the ice in moments. If I don’t write tomorrow, know that I am suffering…but with a SMILE!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

1 comment:

polichon said...

I do not know what to say. You pay me a nice compliment which I am not sure to deserve. The way I see it, you and Suzie are out to enjoy yourself and readily accept the anticipated hangover tomorrow. No one should approach you with an argument. If getting it out of your system helps, good for you. However, after a night of celebration, the problem is still there, if a problem there is?. Sorry, none of my business.XXXX....Kilroy