Monday, February 1, 2010

TO BE, OR NOT TO BE

I can remember hearing somewhere that we shouldn’t pay any attention, or better yet, not even read our horoscopes each day – that it’s a complete hoax. It seems the imaginary predictions of the astrologer, if taken too seriously by the reader, can influence what one will think or do. A mind over matter situation. I read mine anyway. It’s dumped into my computer mailbox each morning, free of charge, and supposedly personalized just for me. It’s more for amusement than anything else, but occasionally something will happen during the day and I’ll say “Hey, my horoscope warned me about this!” Yesterday was one of those occasions.

Unless there is a huge event happening in the city, I don’t expect to encounter a lot of traffic when working on the weekend. The majority of our population works the Monday to Friday, nine-to-five schedule. During the summer, with families returning home after spending their weekends in the cottage country up north, the roads are busy on Sunday evenings, but on the opposite side of the auto route. Others are driving into the city; I’m driving out. When my horoscope warned me about a huge traffic jam, I figured the writer had got the day wrong – then immediately forgot about it. Guess what? It was right on the nose!

On weekends, I usually just breeze out of the city proper, but the main road was blocked tight. It was even worse on the auto route leading north. We inched along; a snail parade, and in BOTH directions cars were squeezing over to let emergency vehicles, lights flashing, move by. There was an accident, of course. One car was upside down in the snow between the roads; many others were pulled over to the side, and there were people standing out everywhere. Yes. I was quite happy to be where I was, sitting in my car as a spectator, rather than a participant, but the point of my writing about it at all is that my horoscope was accurate. What’s more, no ‘influence’ could be attributed to the event whatsoever.

What really catches my attention, though, is this morning’s prediction. It tells me that “A lucky break could put you into a higher financial bracket than you were two days ago…go out and celebrate your good fortune….you’ll feel absolutely
fabulous…tomorrow you can continue to enjoy your success”. Really??

I immediately checked my lotto tickets. They were WAY off – not even one number was good. I won’t give up hope yet. If they got it right one day, what’s to stop them from doing it again? One thing for sure, if there is any way I can be influenced to make it happen, I’m willing! And just in case this mind over matter thing does work, I’ve already started scheming to hide the windfall from the tax man.

This may be a “to be cont’d” post, folks! For the moment, however, off to work I go, and I’m SMILING! Have a good day!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

1 comment:

polichon said...

Koolcat tu me surprends...Voyons dont...Tu sais bien que cà n'a pas de sens ton affaire. Moi, je n'y crois pas, mais je le regarde le mien au cas où?
Where do you read your horoscope on the internet.
What plaeses me most on your blog is that you seem to be gigling all the way...Happy...That,S fine.Kilroy
PS/ Does your friend Karen have any demons in Saskatoon? Kilroy