Sunday, September 29, 2013

AGE & LADYBUGS & ALEXIA

A busy, busy 3 days; quite active on the physical as well as the emotional level, one could safely say. It’s not my story, so I can’t really permit myself to write about it. Suffice it to say that Helen will be spending her weeks here now - finally. To ease the transition and keep her busy, I took her window shopping today, showed her how to use an automated carwash (how about that, FSI?), and she bought her first bottle, ever in her life, in a liquor commission –Bailey’s Irish Cream. Ha-ha!! She had some in coffee when we got back home, and I expect the rest will stay in the cupboard for a year or so.

What is most important is that we spent the day LAUGHING. That lady so needs to learn how to enjoy herself, to giggle for nothing, to make Happy Bubbles, to live for the moment. At one point she told me she wanted to wash the stairs that come up from the garage to the house. I didn’t tell her she shouldn’t, or couldn’t. Instead I showed her where the cleaning stuff and the water pails were, and let her go to it. Damn – I mean – the lady is 72 and should know what she is able or not able to do. If not, she’ll learn quickly enough. It’s a ‘live and let live’ policy in my house. It took her about an hour, the stairs look fantastic, and she was happy with the result. It’s not my idea of a good time, but whatever rings one’s bell.....

It has to be difficult when you get to the age where your children try to dictate what is good, or not, for you. My own kids have attempted it once, each in turn, but my glare told them to back off, which they did. I know they mean well, and expect most of our children do, but – hey – we’re not THERE yet!! I’ll pay my own consequences, thank you very much. Helen feels the same way, but had trouble expressing it. I spent a good hour giving her examples on how to say ‘NO’ without making a fuss. I think the lady has got it!

On a completely different note, we both noticed how my house is being invaded by ladybugs. I remember having the same thing happen a couple of years ago. I have nothing against ladybugs, mind you, but there are so many!! I don’t really appreciate them dropping on my head when I’m sitting in my office, or walking around my food in the kitchen, or trying to share my bed. Is anyone else seeing this, or is it just in my bush? I don’t want to take out RAID and destroy them, so am hoping that the colder weather predicted will send them off to hibernate, or whatever they do in the winter.

On a completely other note again, I want to thank all of you who helped with prayers for Alexia. The tests show that the meningitis is of the virus induced type, and not bacterial, which apparently is a good thing; her fever has been absent for the past 24 hours, and all seems normal for the moment. The little warrior has won this battle. Her grandmother, very aware of the power of prayer, asked me to forward her gratitude.

And that’s it for today. I think my hours of sleep since Friday morning number something like 10; certainly not enough, even for me. Helen is snoozing, as are my doggies after their long walk, and my Jacuzzi is waiting. I send y’all a big, warm SMILE!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: