Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A KITTEN KEEPER?

While I was in Detroit, Miss Dora, the hussy belonging to my grandson, Fred, gave birth to 3 kittens. When Fred found her, she was birthing in the litter box (she is very young, and this is her first time), and her kitten was dead. He installed her in the bathroom with a proper box, where she had 2 more babies – a chubby, normal sized, black and white kitty, and a tiny runt, all grey.

Because Fred and his GF are painting and doing whatever renovations in their new house, they have not been staying here since Dora’s big event. I go down 3 or 4 times a day, give her fresh food and water, and clean her litter box. I don’t touch the kittens, but do cuddle Dora, of course. Mommy needs some company and loving too!
I noticed that the larger kitten mostly sleeps, but now and then the little runt was moving around and mewling.

This morning, on my second visit after feeding, I saw that the runt was no longer in the box. I found it rolling around on its back behind a mattress. I’m not sure if I interrupted Dora in the process of moving BOTH her kittens, or if she is planning to rid herself of this little dude.

I’m more a dog-person. I’ve owned cats, but they were 10 weeks old and in perfect health when my own mother talked me into adopting them. AC and DC became the property and much loved pets of my son and his Japanese bride when I moved back to the bush. What I am saying here is that this is a new experience for me – and I’m wondering how it should be handled. I did look up some information on the internet, and see that I may need to get an eyedropper and special milk to help the poor little mite...IF, indeed, Dora has decided that she wants no part of it. If I understand what I read, the feeding should happen every 2 to 3 hours, day and night??!!

I guess the best thing to do is wait a couple of hours to see if Dora tries to move it out of the box again, and prepare myself for nursing duty if that does happen. Any suggestions from knowing cat lovers out there would be much appreciated!!

In the meantime, I’m sending you SMILES – big, sunny ones to go with the beautiful weather presently favoring my neck of the woods!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

No comments: