Wednesday, September 11, 2013

BACK ON THE CHAIN GANG?

Oh dear. It looks like I’m at the end of it now. I was hoping that collecting a substantial amount owed to me by a delinquent client would carry me through until I could find something else to fatten the coffers, but his cheques are not honored, which does me more harm than good. My one regular client has lost business on his side too, and no doubt will close that part of his operations down within a week or two. He has another company in the city, and last spring had offered me a job there, but it would mean commuting again. Just the thought makes my heart cry out in alarm. If I was living in a densely populated area, I would have no problem getting gigs to do at home, but this region is seeing more and more of its citizens having to find employment elsewhere. Bummer.

Compounding the problem is my grandson’s informing me yesterday that he is moving at the end of this month, so no rent will be paid for October. He mentioned a couple of names as tenants to replace him, but no – I am not going to jump there too quickly. Once an apartment is rented out, this province makes it nearly impossible to evacuate the premises if there is a problem. I want to choose wisely. I wasn’t able to advertise because his moving date was not certain, and his finding possible replacements lets him off the hook too. It never rains but it pours.

There is maybe a small ray of hope; not that I continue from home, but to make necessary travel less arduous. A friend of mine who also did accounting from her place, but has resorted to the 9 to 5 trek into the city as of Monday, suggested that I could probably negotiate working irregular hours, thus avoid most of the traffic. It’s a possibility, and one I have no choice but to explore if I want to keep my house. Hell, if I want to even eat!!

Ah well, everything happens for a reason, one door closes and another opens, etc. There really is no choice right now, so there is nothing to do but bite the bullet and proceed. Being part of the pyjama brigade was nice while it lasted, but I’ll get my clothes out of the mothballs and start combing my hair again. I’ve allowed myself this one day to whine about it, even if I realize how lucky I am, having enough education and health to still be able to get a job. Others my age are not so fortunate.

Returning to the real world will also give me plenty of new material for blogs and stories and there you go – I’m already feeling better about the situation! I’ll keep you all up to date on what’s happening. In the meantime, sending you SMILES, just because I can!! Oh – and because I want to....

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: