Thursday, September 12, 2013

THAT BIG LITTLE SOMETHING

Have you noticed how it works? That on those ‘down’ days, when events causing distress or frustration seem to pile up, there is always at least one thing will happen to make you smile? Sometimes it’s small, sometimes bigger, but there is no doubt that it DOES take place – a bright ray reminding us that clouds do eventually disappear.

My foster mother made me aware of this when I was very young. It has never failed. It is more often than not totally unrelated to what one is experiencing at the moment, and usually unexpected. Still, on those occasions where I feel my mood deteriorating to an unhealthy level, I’ll make a point of looking for it, because I know it is there somewhere.

Yesterday was one of those times. Every call, each task I attempted to complete, even the energetic doggies – nothing was easy, and it was a continuous assault against my patience and nerves. Counting to 10 was not working anymore. I was in dire need of a respite.

Usually I will take a walk to lessen the pressure, but I was already wet from being out with the dogs earlier, and it was still raining. I started wandering around the house, stopping at each window, searching for something... anything...that would change my humor.

And the sun peeped from behind a cloud. Its appearance was short, but long enough to create a lovely rainbow. I could feel myself relax as I watched it arch across the sky. My quest had not been in vain.

But wait! I was rewarded a second time! As I turned to go back to my desk, I saw something that actually made me express my joy aloud. A butterfly!! I have been longing to see one this whole season. It was clutching the inside screen, and so pretty! I admired it for a bit, took a picture, then very gently removed the screen so that the little creature could take wing to freedom.

The implication was not lost. My bad day was not important in the whole scheme of things, but that little butterfly and the role it plays on our earth certainly is; there are priorities to be observed.

The truth is, importance aside, my Happy Bubble was back in place, and I was SMILING.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

No comments: