Thursday, March 17, 2011

THE END OF BUBBLE DAY


Photo courtesy of Photobucket
There was a small earthquake here yesterday. It measured a 4 point something, and you could hear it coming, felt a slight shift under the feet, then listen to it continue on. Nothing much, but because of the recent tragedy in Japan people paid attention. More than once was heard someone proclaiming, ‘That was frightening! Can you imagine what they felt with the size of the one over there?’

Yes, I can imagine. My daughter-in-law‘s parents in Osaka are shaken, but physically safe for the moment. It doesn’t keep her from worrying night and day – about aftershocks, about nuclear fall-out, about the lack of necessities such as food, clean water, and everything we take for granted in our day to day lives. Being Japanese, she does not go on and on about it – it’s not her way. I’m sure she would like nothing better than to have them close to her right now.

My Bubble Day (as Sam called it, LOL) was partially successful. The telephones were transferred to me as usual when the employees left the office around 5 PM, and the calls for income tax service continued. I had one fellow show up at my house during the first period of the Detroit-Washington hockey, his hands full of documents needing to be completed. I gave him the necessary information, sat him at the dining room table to work on it with instructions to holler if he needed help, and parked myself back in front of the television. I wasn’t worried about him wandering around; Grump, who growled when this ‘stranger’ first arrived, was sitting in the doorway, keeping an eye on the situation. The visitor likes and respects dogs, and knew enough not to start moving about without warning me first. The only thing that made him jump was my very loud ‘Yippee!!’ when the game ended with the Wings’ winning, revenge for my HABS from the night before.

The telephone started again at 5:15 AM this morning – a Residence cook was sick and needed to be replaced. Fortunately I was able to reach someone on our list without having to race into the city office searching for phone numbers. It was a dangerous move. Without coffee, in a total zombie state, I could have sent them a nurse instead of a chef. Once I was fully awake, I kept my fingers crossed as I re-read the information on the employee form and was relieved that the right call had been made, LOL.

Now it’s time to head into work, so I’ll send you my SMILE to pave the way for a fantastic day! (Wow! I’m getting this rhyming this down pat – will maybe write a decent poem eventually.)

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

polichon said...

Je peux m'imaginer que Yoshiko doit être sur le gros nerf ....moi je le serais, mais je sais que les Japonais ont une philosophie de vie bien particulière à eux. On devrait tous aller vibre au Japon et apprendre certaines de leurs philosophies , et ensuite revenir ici. Ils n'ont pas l'air d'un peuple nerveux.
"A residence cook". Was that for your placement agency or , I remember you planning a residence for old people. Is the plan functionning? I see you are still working hard. Smile hard and maybe learn something from your daughter in law. xxx me