Tuesday, March 24, 2015

THREE STRIKES...

The company where I now work has recently purchased two lots of mini-warehouses, each lot containing 80 units, and one of my duties is to ascertain that these are well managed. The former employees are still there and, as often happens, they are not thrilled with the change. The information I receive from them is confusing, whether purposely or not, and is out of date. Many times it is even contradictory. I called them to warn that I would be coming by to inspect it all. They pleaded unavailability for the first day chosen, then the second; the third date was today, and I insisted that it could be delayed no longer.

The first hick was my forgetting to check the forecast -the weather was extremely cold and access to most of the units is by the exterior. My clipboard and pencil and are less competent at -20. Or it could be my hands – they don’t write so well when frozen stiff.

Next hick? Although I arrived a half hour earlier than scheduled, I was told that the employee who was to accompany me was already at the second lot. Apparently there is a problem with keys, and he went ahead to prepare.... and could I join him there? Because my GPS didn’t recognize the address, I was given verbal directions. Either I misunderstood, or they were just wrong. I took an unnecessary scenic tour of the area before my exasperation made me call my boss to steer me right. When I did arrive, the designated employee immediately voiced complaints about why this was being done, implying it was a waste of time, yada, yada, yada.

Dude!! This is the 3rd strike! (Ok, the weather really wasn’t his fault, but....)

I subtly reminded him who he worked for (by asking him), but he was still grumpy, voicing his discontent.

“Well, I guess it can be someone else who can come each week to help me do this,” I consoled him.

“Each week???” he exclaimed, staring at me. “What for?” I ignored his question and whipped out my cell phone.

“Ok – let’s go. I have to get pictures. This could take awhile.”

“A picture of each unit??” he sputtered, aghast at the thought. I nodded.

“Yep – boss wants to know what’s inside each unit.” We both knew that meant he would have to unlock and lift 80 sliding doors. He was maybe shivering with the cold now, but he would be sweating soon. And there were still another 80 back at the first lot.

I’ll make the long story short. My calm composure – or was it the hard work, or maybe noticing that I was shivering from the cold more than he was? Whatever, he eventually was more agreeable, and we even shared a few laughs during the 3 hours it required to finish our task. At the end, I teased him about being in shape, and secretly asked his co-worker (who will tell him I’m sure) what kind of beer the dude drank. He really did have to pedal, so I’ll show up bearing gifts next time.

I’m thinking the boss will be pleasantly surprised to see pictures. If not, I won’t charge him the full time I was there – it’s worth the SMILE I was wearing when I drove away.

Sharing it with you as usual. This SMILE may smack of some payback.... (wink!)

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: