Thursday, March 12, 2015

A LESSON

I couldn’t take it anymore. I was so lonesome for my baby that I skipped over to see her after work on Tuesday night. Well – skipped is maybe not the right word, seeing that I had to cross the city, but I was well rewarded with a few hours of Miko’s warmth and smell and little smiles. I rocked her as my son and I watched the Habs’ game. They lost, so there was no danger of her flying through the air – I’m rather demonstrative when celebrating a goal – and I kept my swearing to a minimum through the bad hockey moments. I tore myself away finally, and arrived home for bed around 2:30 AM. Yesterday was a loooong day.

My new job finds me among a few familiar co-workers, but there are also some bodies I am meeting for the first time. As I mentioned, my hours are flexible, and often I’ll walk into the office around 11 AM, having already put in a few hours from home or at the local branch. There is one man who remarks on my ‘cushy position’ each time he sees me arrive. I was laughing it off. He’s a bit mouthy anyway and I felt no need to explain myself. His looks and actions only reinforced my opinion of his character – not much there.

He was standing outside smoking when I got to work yesterday. He did his usual routine of looking at his watch, then feigning surprise because it was earlier than usual, so I decided that we would bring this to a head. I stopped to chat with him a few minutes, starting with the beautiful weather at that moment. One thing led to another, and imagine my surprise when I learned that he is an avid reader, that we enjoy many of the same authors! It even went so far as his offering to lend me certain volumes that interested me, and giving me addresses of some second-hand bookstores in the area. Knock me over with a feather, why don’t ya??

He held the door for me as we entered the building, and I could feel that subtle change in our attitudes. He’ll still bug me about my hours, but the teasing will be lighter, amusing, and I’ll accept it for what it is. I didn’t enlighten him as to why I don’t usually come in early. I have a little stubborn streak. He deserves to stew about it a bit longer anyway, just because of his previous behaviour.

Another lesson for Adnohr – Judge not!! Now, to avoid there being truth to his thinking, I had better get my butt in gear and start my work. Wishing you all a great day, and hoping that my SMILE adds some sunshine to whatever you’re doing!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: