Thursday, March 26, 2015

HIERARCHY

The family/friend gathering in the bush last Saturday was even more pleasurable because of the new babies. Miko and Alice were presented, much cuddled, and both little girls took it in stride, It wasn’t the first time for Léna, who is already 15 months old, but she discovered more friends, and got her share of attention too. The Rug Rats, after the initial hug for mémère on arrival, are oldest of the crew and maybe because they are of the male species decided to hole up on the other side of the house away from the crowd. Any kissy-kissy on their parts is now restricted to private moments.

I had a plate in each hand, heading for the already laden table, when Bali (the middle rug rat – the one who pushes the envelope) suddenly appeared before me.

“Mémère, can I play with your ipad?” he asked me, fixing me with those big, blue eyes.
“Where is it, Bali? Is it in the living room?” When he nodded, I told him to go ahead, but to be careful, and he went running off. It was only a few minutes later that I realized he hadn’t smiled at the permission; his expression had been more that of a ‘boy on a mission’.

Hmmm....

I made my way to the living room. All 3 boys were holding electronic game devices, but it wasn’t Bali who had my ipad; it was the oldest, Nalou, who was curled up in the big chair. Both his younger brothers were sitting on separate couches, pretending hard to ignore him without much success. His thumbs were racing over the game, and his comments ‘Wow – that’s a BIG monster! Where was he hiding? Oh, wow – I have to get him!!!’ were way too tempting, and Nalou was well aware of this.

I looked at Bali. So that was why he had come and asked! He was hoping that his ‘Mémère said I could play with her ipad!’ would force his brother to hand it over. It didn’t work, of course. It rarely does, but I guess he thought it was worth a shot.

I stood there, debating silently if I should interfere, and Bali glanced at me, then put his head down, pretending to concentrate on his game, and I interpreted this as a ‘No’.
It was the hierarchy of siblings at work here; as old as time, and each brother would acquiesce until old enough to find his own place. It’s all part of growing up.

I turned and walked back to the kitchen, my mind full of memories of how it had been with my younger brother when we were kids, and I SMILED.

Sharing the SMILE with you as always!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: