Wednesday, March 18, 2015

FOR THE LOVE OF WINTER.

“I hate the winter! I just can’t wait for it to be all over.” The technician was fiddling with the machines as she ranted. I was standing, naked from the waist up, watching her with a leery eye; it seemed the more she stated her displeasure with the temperature, the more brusquely she handled the plates from the scanner. I couldn’t help but be alarmed - she would be manipulating a very sensitive part of my anatomy in a moment. This was not the time to admit that I loved our Canadian winter. I needed to make this lady smile.

"It's nearly over," I attempted to reassure her. "And I heard this week will see a lot of sun.”

“But cold!" she grumbled. “And another snowstorm on its way for the weekend! It doesn’t seem to end!” Uh-oh, I thought silently. This girl has a hard case of season blues and she was heading for me right now!

“I suppose that’s why many people go down south this time of the year – a kind of transition period until it gets warmer here.” I offered while taking a small step back from her.

“That’s exactly where I’m supposed to be!” she exclaimed. “But my vacation plans have been scrapped, so I’m stuck here, in this snow and freezing place!”

Damn! Wrong observation! I needed to think fast. She had her hand on my back and was briskly manoeuvring me into place before the s-q-u-e-e-z-e. And her hands were cold!

“Where?” I didn’t realize that I had yelled the word until she stopped and stared at me.

“What?” she asked, her eyes wide.

“Where do you go down south? What’s your favourite place? Do you visit or just lie in the sun? Ocean or villa pool?” I was babbling, but it was working. She hesitated, and her movements slowed. She was almost gentle as she fitted my right breast onto the bottom plate before lowering the top one.

OUCH! I am really not good with pain, so I hardly heard her answers. I think she mentioned Jamaica, and I believe she gave me some reasons for her love of sun and heat while she had me change positions, then sides, and then, thankfully, the mammography was done.

She was still going on about it as she opened the door to let me leave, but she was smiling now. I nodded to the lady next in line; this one would never know how much easier her examination would be because of my efforts.

On my way out, they stopped me at the counter to confirm my family doctor’s address. I gave the information and... the devil made me do it...

“By the way,” I said to the receptionist. “Tell your technician that I DO love winter. It’s way better than roasting in the summer.”

I SMILED all the way to the parking lot. Sharing it with you, as usual!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: