Wednesday, September 9, 2009

TIMES, THEY ARE A CHANGIN'...

I don’t know if I’m running slower, or if time is flying away faster. Maybe a little of both? It seems I turn my head for a second and the next thing I know, I’m at the end of another day…then week…and now summer. Whether we like it or not, the leaves are already changing colours, the night air is friskier, and the grandchildren’s birthdays are here.

My daughter’s children were all born in the fall. Today Erika is 17, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERIKA! From a cute little girl – ‘sugar & spice’ - she has become a beautiful young lady; attending Dawson college, working at a grocery store, and has bought her first car. Shan’s youngest, Raphael, will be 12 next week, and has entered high school this year, another fact that has me shaking my head in wonder. Her oldest, Fred, turns 19 in October. He now has fulltime employment with a good company and is pulling in a salary higher than either his mom or grandmother….how about that?? Scattered among the grandchildren’s dates are the B-days of my god-daughter, who will also be 19 on the unforgettable date of September 11th; and my deceased sister’s only grandchild, who turns 11 just before celebrating Fred in October.

Yes, the two months put a bit of a dent in the wallet, but the realization of how they are children no longer is what really floors me. Mind you, I’m not complaining. They are all great kids, and I realize how lucky our family is that our offspring are happy, and safe, and building their own lives as quasi-adults. It’s just that I can’t shop for them in the toy section now, and this granny, who always considered herself pretty hip, finds herself at a loss when choosing their gifts. It used to be so easy with the dolls or the Tonka trucks or soccer balls. Now these kids are rattling off names of boutiques that I’ve never even heard of. As a teen, I’d have been highly insulted if anyone bought me clothes from a ‘Garage’. And how many types of shoes does ‘Puma’ make, for heaven’s sake? Then there’s the Wii, which, when my kids were little, meant find a bathroom, and quickly! I hate to admit it, but I usually cop out and just hand them a card with money, or fall back on my daughter’s knowledge (because she HAS kept up with the times) and hand her the envelopes and the power of choice. No way will I be accused of being like my own grandmother, who would show up with gifts like bloomers and pink ankle socks when I was already a derisive teen in bell-bottoms and Jesus sandals, LOL!

So the beat goes on. Because I also find that it takes me longer to make myself presentable in these early hours, I had better get a move on if I want to get to the office in time. One thing I don’t have a problem with is finding my SMILE, so I send mine out to y’all as I wish you a great day!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

2 comments:

polichon said...

something is wrong. 3 posts and it does not appear. If this one does not appear I'll get in touch with you.RSVP....Kilroy

Anonymous said...

Time does not change, it is people and their habits that change. The sun rises in the morning to disappear in the evening after supper. The habit of eating at breakfast, dinner and supper does not change, its the menue that does.....I hope this one posts...Bye....xxx...Kilroy