Friday, September 25, 2009

CYBER JUNKIE

I am the only person to use my computer at home, so whenever anything appears on my screen that was not put there by ME, it freaks me out. Who has been in my house touching my stuff??? I tend to forget that it is always connected to the Internet, and now and then those cyber-authorities out there shove something in my face when I log on. The other night was one of those times. I sat down at my desk to find that my beautiful,winter scene had been replaced by BING_BING_BING written in bright orange letters all over my screen. GRRRR! I vainly attempted to restore the original background. My lack of talent for resolving anything technical is no secret – nothing I did worked, of course. This “update” thingie kept flashing, so I clicked and accepted and clicked and accepted.....and succeeded in putting my computer out of commission...totally. All I had to do was touch any key and it froze up tight.

It was too late in the evening to call my puter-doc, and my frustration attained a level where the machine was in very real danger of being thrown through the window, so I headed for the jacuzzi instead.

My regular ‘wake-up’ procedure of grabbing a coffee, saying good morning to the doggies and my mountain, reading Kilroy’s Blog, checking Facebook for activity from my offspring, looking at posts in Blogit.....it was not going to happen. Being a creature of habit, my inability to complete my morning routine threw me into confusion. I’m not sure how early it was when I picked up the phone and speed-dialed my puter-doc, but I could tell from his voice that he hadn’t been awake. He knows me well. He calmed mentioned some of the many things I had probably done wrong, told me he would be out of town until next Tuesday, and suggested that I use one of the laptops from the office to calm my addiction. Now why hadn’t I thought of that?
The answer to that question is easy. It was pure panic. I couldn’t fathom spending down time without access to the net. Great Scott!! I have become a cyber-junkie!!!

Obviously I followed his advice. I brought home one of the laptops last night, managed to hook it up so that it works, and this morning was able to read Kilroy’s Blog, check out my young ‘uns on Facebook, and and am writing this post. I’m reconnected to the world again, my face is all SMILES and life is good.
Luv from the Bush in Quebec

1 comment:

polichon said...

Laughing while reading visualizing the smoke puffing out of your ears and your nose, tempted to throw the computer through the window, and your dogs walking away with their tail between their legs, scared as hell. Must of been a scary scene. Glad to hear you calmed down. Kilroy...xxx...