Monday, September 14, 2009

FIGHTING THE BUG.

What about this weather, eh? In spite of the frequent visits to the bathroom, and the other uncomfortable virus symptoms, I was able to admire the picturesque spread provided by Mère Nature during the weekend. The maple leaves have just a touch of red and gold, their colours a perfect contrast to the evergreens. The same pattern was visible here and there on my mountain, whose majestic reach touched the bluest of blue skies. From my gallery I watched two little chipmunks scurry back and forth from ground to trees, losing them in the bright, yellow mustard weed, then spotting them again…the autumn preparations of gathering and storing before the snow falls. Bud ignores them, his experience telling him the chase is a lost cause, but the youngest pit, Grump-puppy, does his best to be their major pain in the butt. He tries to climb the tree where they have taken refuge. They chatter down at him loudly. Now and then he’ll let out a short bark, drowning out their incessant scolding. I was curled up on my swing, rocking lightly, taking it all in. I pulled my bare feet in under the warm, fuzzy tiger throw and let the medication and the relaxing sounds of a beautiful day outdoors do their thing; push me gently into the arms of Murphy. What a wonderful atmosphere in which to snooze!

By Sunday I was feeling better, although still slightly shaky. I decided to make a huge pot of soup, the renowned cure-all for any illness. Cooking relaxes me, and the creation of soup is one of my favourites. I call it a creation because there is no set recipe – you just throw whatever is on hand into the pot as you go along. This time it was two chunky butcher bones, saved beef stock, strips of round steak, lots of chopped, fresh veggies, a cup of noodles, a bit of barley and rice, some herbs and black pepper…and voilà! Add a couple of pieces of fresh buttered bread, and you have a feast fit for a king! The aroma filled the house, and the doggies made regular stops by the kitchen door, noses in the air, tails wagging hopefully. I treated them to a ladle each poured over their dry food, and the three of us dug in. Mmmm….good!

My brother, Bird, and I will be heading to the Cancer Clinic this morning. Because of the long drive, and the time spent there, I won’t be going into the office. I expect we will stop off at my home on the drive back to fill his water bottles (he prefers well-water to the town stuff), and, of course, a soup care package. Afterwards, I’ll hopefully be able to do the revision of our Healthcare project that I was supposed to this weekend before the virus so rudely interrupted my plans.

Here’s wishing you all a good Monday with nice surprises and warm SMILES, wherever you are and whatever you are doing. Ciao!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

1 comment:

polichon said...

This is the second try at trying to comment your blog. It did not take it this afternoon. I did not know you were down with the flue. You must feel bad, very bad. The only cure is to stay home and rest. I hope this comment passes through. Kilroy. xxx