Monday, October 7, 2013

RUNT & RUG RATS

After twice putting the runt kitten back into the box with its sibling, I found it again out on the floor, this time a distance from Mama Dora and her healthy baby. I brought the poor, tiny thing upstairs, went over the ‘Orphan or Neglected Kitten How-to’ advice I had printed from the internet, and prepared to spend the next few days being a nurse of sorts. Helen, who claims to not like cats at all, appeared with one of her little teddy bears and a piece of flannel, in which she wrapped a plastic bottle filled with heated water. Both were added to the new bed for our patient.

I had been calling the kitten Runt, and we decided it was as good a name as any. The first feeding went quite well; Runt wasn’t sucking but did swallow a spoonful from the dropper. Following the directions, I gently massaged his sides and belly to help digestion, and noted that the bones in the back end were badly deformed. I doubted very much if Runt would ever be able to walk properly. After rubbing his wee bum with a warm, wet cotton ball to encourage elimination, I settled him into his box. He immediately cuddled up to the teddy bear and bottle, and fell to sleep. It wasn’t quite 2 hours later when he mewled, and the procedure was repeated.

I had installed him in my office so that he would be close by as I worked, and out of reach of two very curious doggies. It was late when I finally decided to set the alarm clock and get some sleep. I leaned over to check on him again before running my bath, even if it had only been an hour since his last feeding, and discovered that my little Runt had crossed over to Rainbow Bridge. I felt sad, as did Helen when I told her the next morning, but know that his last hours were spent in a warm, comfy place and not discarded on the corner of a cold floor. Mama Dora’s instincts had been right all along; I just didn’t agree with her method which, of course, is the only one she knows.

Fred came to pick up Dora and her remaining kitten on Saturday while I was with my Rug rats. Helen gave him the news, but I think he was expecting that result all along. A forever home is already found and waiting until the healthy baby is old enough, then Fred plans to have Dora’s hysterectomy done so there will be no more litters. A good move!!

The Rug rats and Mémère had a great time together, although it left me wondering how I had handled them full time for the 5 months they lived with me. I definitely needed a rest when it was over! I also discovered that I’m no longer as adept on the trampoline as is the three year old Tao; I bounce higher but come down with far less grace!!

The sun was shining as I drove home. Is that what caused the colors of the bush road to be more vibrant than usual? Or was it because I was still basking in the hugs and kisses and giggles from my three grandsons?

A combination of the two, no doubt, making me drunk on beauty and love. And making that SMILE a whole lot bigger! Enough to go around, so sending y’all your share.....

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: