Tuesday, February 5, 2013

HAJOMEMASHITE.

I’m going to Japan!

My son and my Japanese daughter –in-law had mentioned it at Christmas, but called today to say that my ticket is confirmed. It’s my belated Xmas present.

My DIL’s mom is older, and wishes to meet me, but is too frightened to get on an airplane. When my son announced that his wedding would be in Japan, I had bought tickets for both my mother and me, and we were so looking forward to the event. Then my mom got sick, the cancer progressed quickly, and she passed over a Friday morning; our flight was to be that Sunday.

The doctor had warned me, and because I knew the travel agent very well, I was able to transfer the 2 tickets to my daughter and my youngest boy. My son would at least have his siblings’ presence for the wonderful celebration. When I drove them to the airport that Sunday, I was too darned exhausted from mom’s home care to even get out of the car; we said our goodbye’s right there. I can still picture my 3 children walking away, leaving for the other side of the world.....

In spite of the expense and the months of preparation, this wedding came close to being cancelled by the father of the bride. The Japanese venerate their elders; my mother’s death was not considered lightly. What’s more, the date they were to marry was the anniversary of my sister’s passing 10 years before. It took some convincing, telling him that my mom had wanted the wedding to happen more than anything else; it was in fact one of her last requests. I added that my sister would also have given heartfelt approval. Much to my son’s relief, the marriage was finally allowed to take place.

Because I was unable to attend the first time, they decided to do it again. Later that year, in October, the vows were repeated, Canadian style, here in our village. My son often jokes that no further proof of his love for his wife is necessary; after all, he did marry her twice.

There will be no wedding this time, but there will be the pleasure of meeting more family, of visiting a country with very knowledgeable guides and, of course, lifting a sake in honor of the 7th anniversary of a couple who have absorbed and welcomed two very different cultures into their lives.

I am preparing – shopping for home/doggie sitters, reading up on the internet, and learning some basic phrases in Japanese. I expect I will pull a Nautikos and use the masculine expressions instead of feminine, LOL! I’m also trying to remember the name of our Blogit member who was posting from Japan....maybe someone can help me there? She was a great writer and photographer – it would be fun to meet her if she is available and willing.

This scaredy-cat, stay-at-home lady is talking herself out of the fear of flying a minimum 16 hours, some of those over shark-infested oceans, visions of earthquakes and nuclear spill offs, and attempting to concentrate on positive aspects. The trip is in April, so cherry blossom time; the country is renowned for its beauty; I’ll be with my much loved son and DIL; I can cater to my curiosity about their religion; and last, but not least, the experience of meeting the in-laws and saying confidently, with feminine pronunciation, “Hajimemashite!” (How do you do?)

Boy-oh-boy, I’m looking forward to it now! I’m so SMILING!!!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have a wonderful trip! You will certainly experience so much more than the average tourist.