Monday, February 11, 2013

I WOULD BLAME IT ON CIEL.....

She put the flea in my ear. Of course, she couldn’t know about my disturbing habit of not being able to put a good book down until I reach that terrible place where it says ‘The End’.

Her comment on my post about the upcoming trip to Japan suggested that I read Shogun, a book by J. Clavell, already enjoyed years ago. I know I have it, but it is well hidden among the piles of reading material found throughout my house; here, there, everywhere. After an impatient search, well aware of the consequences, I threw caution to the wind and downloaded another copy from Amazon to my Kindle.

It is a long and gripping story; one doesn’t get through it in a day. Everything except hockey was put on hold - and the doggies were able to divert my attention, but only after being very insistent. Housework, cooking, telephone, writing...it was all ignored as I immersed myself in the ferocity of the samurai and Anjin-san’s ability to adapt and cope with a culture so very different from our own.

If I could apply the same dedication to writing as I do to reading, I would have pounds of paper, full of stories, as a result of my effort. Unfortunately that’s not the case. Since I have learned to read, very young in fact, this addiction has plagued me. My children caught on quite early to time requests that would ordinarily be refused, until I picked up a book. Lost in wherever the author wanted to take me, I would answer the kids with a distracted grunt, which they would gleefully interpret to suit their wish.

Well, I’ve finished it now, reluctantly. However, as I was hunting for my original copy, I stumbled upon another book called ‘The Fall of the Shogun’ written by Dov Silverman; one that probably was included in a box of volumes that friends keep giving me, and I don’t believe I have ever read it...yet. It’s sitting on my table now, teasing, enticing, but I HAVE to get things moving here, so last night I put a pile of paper on top of it, hours of work that needs to be done before even cracking opening that cover.

A glimmer of discipline did occur when I finally put the book down and I caught up on my favorites in Blogit (my dear friend Kilroy’s blog is automatic with my morning cup of coffee). But that’s more reading, isn’t it, so I have to ask myself if discipline is the right word?

It’s one of the drawbacks, and joys, of living alone. There’s nobody to interrupt and say “Put that thing down and get your work done!” Well, nobody but ME, that is. And when I find me talking to myself, I don’t even bother arguing or making excuses. I just keep doing what I want to do, and I SMILE.

Still SMILING – and happy to share it with y’all!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: