Friday, November 30, 2012

BEING CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR....

So, when you think about it, this latest change in my living situation is actually quite good. I’ll have to pedal a little more for money, as I had forewarned my two clients to find another accountant by December. However,it will also give me a chance to clean office. You can be sure all future clients will be required to pay a retainer fee; gone is the hassle of trying to collect on my invoices once the work is already done!

When the rug rats were living here, it meant preparing three meals a day, every day...and of course the dishes, the multiple loads of laundry, extra cleaning; in short, I had reverted back to chief cook and bottle washer, on call 24 hours a day. Once they were in bed, there was no longer spur of the moment visits to friends. I was housebound until the drive to school at 7:15 AM the next day. Added to that was the constant surveillance of the boys, including their interaction with the dogs. I wasn’t worried about biting at all, but each of the animals weighs more than the 3 rug rats combined, and Smooch especially, being a puppy, is rambunctious enough to cause injury if he gets too excited.

I’m not complaining – having those kids around was worth it all – but now I get to have my cake and eat it too! By moving all this to Mommy’s house, I have my quiet time most of the day, and have become, once more, a paid babysitter without the maid duties, a grandmother instead of a parent.

I was still happily basking in the outcome when my son showed up for his daily visit. His next words told me that I wasn’t the only person contemplating what this change would mean.

“She was wondering if it wouldn’t be easier for you to still keep the boys here at night instead of having to drive to her place each day.”

“What?” I asked. “Why? You’ve moved everything back except the bird, some toys and the rest of the boys ‘clothes. I thought one of her problems was with the dogs being a nuisance? And they’re still here and not going anywhere!” I was shaking my head when I caught his grin. What was going on?

“Well, she did mention that it was nice having the supper ready when she got home....” His grin turned to a laugh as he watched me catch on. He knew how spoiled his lady is, and he knows his mom too; he suspected what my answer would be before framing his question.

“Uh-huh! Supper, and the dishes, and the laundry, and the freedom in the evening....” I laughed with him. “I get it...and the answer is NO! I have put my house back how it was, and I’m quite happy the way things are now. Besides, it’s much easier on the children. They don’t have to travel back and forth twice a day, and I don’t mind the drive. In fact, you can tell her I really think her decision was best for all of us.”

How could I help but smirk a little?

“In that case, I’ll need a big bag.” he said. He stood, but before heading to the clothes dresser, he reached over and ruffled my hair, then bent his six foot plus in two to kiss the top of my head.

“Love ya, Momma!” he said, and there was pride entwined with the affection in his voice. I squeezed his arm.

“Love ya too, my boy” I assured him.

And together we SMILED.

uv from the bush in Quebec.

No comments: