Saturday, November 17, 2012

CURIOUS

I had a ham roasting slowly in the oven, had dug out my favorite recipe for scalloped potatoes, and there was butternut squash in the fridge waiting to be brushed, then baked, with a little garlic and delicious Quebec maple syrup. I knew there was enough ice cream for dessert and it’s a favorite for all 3 rug rats.

Mommy finishes her graveyard shift on Friday morning, and picks the boys up from school and daycare a little earlier on that day. To avoid the clamouring for snacking on arrival, and therefore spoiling appetites for the evening meal, my habit is to have supper ready when they walk in the door. During the week that is around 5 PM; on Fridays it’s an hour earlier.

I didn’t hear the text message come in. It had been sent at 2:30, probably when Mommy got out of bed. She was going for groceries, she wrote, then she and the boys would be spending the weekend at her house; they’ll be back on Sunday afternoon.

Hmmm. Okay. A couple of days of quiet would do no harm, but it would have been nice to have some advance notice. I wondered if it had been decided on the spur of the moment.

Since my son left for work out west, his lady has not slept here once. It makes sense during the week; her own place (which is eventually supposed to be sold) is closer to her work place and the school attended by the rug rats. She gets off work at 7 AM, goes to bed, then is awake in time to pick the boys up and bring them here for supper, homework, baths and bed. About 8 PM she leaves for her place again, usually skypes with my son, has a lie-down before returning to work at 11 PM. I have the monitor by my bed to hear the boys during the night, and do the breakfast, dress and drive to school in the mornings. It works out fine.

She had activities on the first two weekends that my son has been away. I was at home anyway, so the boys stayed here. She joined us during the day, but slept over at her own place after whatever outing she was attending. On the 3rd weekend, she was not busy the Saturday, so decided that she & the boys would again sleep at her house. And now this. My son will be home for his ten day break next Friday. I’m curious to see what sleeping arrangements will take place during his stay.

In the meantime, it is a luxury to be able to wash the floors with only the animals to chase out of the way! My oldest grandson arrived last night; he and his little girlfriend are still sleeping, so I’ll wait until noon before getting out the central-vac, turning my Ozzy tunes on full blast, and limp around with my mop.

Tonight I am invited for the evening with my Cuban friends – always a fun time with music, wine, food and laughter!

Yep! I’m SMILING, and sending them out to y’all! Hope they share your weekend!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: