Friday, November 2, 2012

THE YO-YO.

Because she has been staying here for the past month or so, Mommy had very little food at her own house. I prepared soup and sandwich fixings, put the makeup in the bag, picked up the youngest Rug rat from daycare, and made my way there to join her and the two oldest boys. They would have time for a quick meal before doing the rounds on Halloween night.

When I arrived, it was to find the five year old Bali and Mommy in distress mode, with maternal grandma looking on.

“He threw a tantrum when I picked him up from school,” Mommy informed me. “I have no idea why. I had been telling my mother that he has been so good, since both you and I spend time with him – and now this! He was screaming again!”

I knew the child was listening, but he didn’t look around to see my reaction. I said nothing other than “Hmmm”. Things have been going well with him lately, but there are no overnight fixes for something like this. I suspect that he’s still not quite used to Mommy putting her foot down, but I didn’t say so within his hearing. Mommy and I would talk this weekend. All of us were just too darned tired at the moment.

Not only is Bali in the middle (oldest gets privileges, youngest gets babied), but he is also very small for his age. His stature bothers him greatly; it frustrates him to no end. Last year while at the town amusement fair, he was barred from certain rides when his younger, but taller, friends were allowed to participate. That hurt!! He expresses his pain with pure rage, lashing out, getting carried away unless stopped immediately. Still, there is such a brave heart in that little body. I’m certain that by channeling the energy he uses for his tantrums into something positive, add some well-placed discipline, together with his already present charm, his fierce determination, and his fearlessness, one could not ask for a better young man. It will, of course, take time, but I am positive it will work.

Last night again, when his Mommy warned him there was no candy if he didn’t eat his supper, Bali picked up his plate and threw it back on the table. He hadn’t noticed that I was standing behind him, and my light finger flick on the side of his head startled him.

“Pick that up and put it down right.” Without a word he did as I said, ducking his head as children do when they are caught out. “You heard your Mom,” I added. “If you want candy, you eat supper. If you don’t want to eat supper, that’s okay, but there’s no candy.” He picked up his fork and started to eat again. Nothing further was said about it, and he did get his candy when he was finished. He was still chewing on the sweet when he came to lean on my knee; my grinning boy holds no grudges. I hugged him close to me, wishing that I could find a miracle, a quick solution; that we could stop this sort of good-cop, bad-cop scenario his mother and I seem to have created.

All this to say that those we love sure can play yo-yo with our emotions. On the drive to school this morning, Nalou, the oldest Rug rat, was telling me about the different planets; he’s into astronomy, and stumps me every time!

“And we have the best planet,” he stated. “Earth.”

I agreed, telling him that Earth had everything we needed to live happily. There was a short lapse in our conversation, then he spoke again.

“I love my life now.’ He said, his voice serious. ‘I’m really happy.” Surprised, but thrilled, I glanced over at him, then in the rear view mirror at his brother, who was listening from the back seat.

“What about you, Bali? Do you love you life too?”

“Yep!” answered my wild grandson, his eyes sparkling back at me. “I’m really happy too!”

I felt the yo-yo ascend once more as we all SMILED.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: