Saturday, October 6, 2012

WHAT? NO NOISE?

This is pretty awesome! It’s just after 6 AM and here I am sitting at my desk writing instead of dishing out toast or strawberries or eggs or cereal. The doggies are still drowsing on their couches; no scolding of Smooch this morning for sneaking under the table, licking each of the Rug Rats’ knees in turn, aiming for a share of breakfast.

Neither is there sound from the basement apartment. Yesterday my grandson got home from his 28 day stint at the far end of the country, and he and his little girlfriend are wrapped up in each other, shutting out the world around them. Wait! I hear noise!! Oh yes – kitten Dora is into something down there – there was a bang followed by a scuffle. Trust the nocturnal feline to keep us on our toes!

My son left Thursday for the annual moose hunting week away up north somewhere, and this after being so sick that he wasn’t even able to work. Jo has to be really not well before staying in bed like he did – he’s a tough dude, that one. Even if he looked better, I loaded his backpack with medication for cold, flu, nausea, but I understood his need to get away into the deep forest for awhile. In spite of his mother’s aversion to it, Jo loves the hunt like I do hockey. (No, I’m not going there!!)

My older son and his Japanese wife will be spending Thanksgiving weekend with his dad, who is slowly recovering from colon cancer. The Rug Rats are with Mommy at least until tomorrow; the maternal grandparents need their dose of little boy hugs and kisses. My daughter and one or two of the older grandkids may, or may not, show up for turkey & trimmings. I’ll be cooking anyway, and if no-one comes around there will be little danger of it going to waste in this populated household. Talk about leftover heaven!

For an update, Mommy has been spending most of her days and nights with us, much to the boys’ delight. My son is adamant about living here now, and there have been discussions about them selling the house and her moving in with us permanently. She wisely is waiting until my son asks her to do so; he is taking his time. It’s blatantly apparent that they still love each other, but there is the element of trust to rebuild...and Jo wants to be sure. In the meantime, we are adjusting to this huge change in our lives, and up to now we’re doing a darned fine job of it too!

********************************

I had to interrupt my writing; Nalou, the oldest rug rat, called to tell me he’s invited to go camping with a family for the weekend, and could I please bring him his pumps (in case) and his sweat pants? He also wanted to give me the Halloween cake he had made for me yesterday. It was a muffin, and he grinned as he handed it to me, apologizing because he had eaten the top – the part with the chocolate pumpkin on it.

Now that his little dog, Weegie, has been accepted here, Nalou has been hinting that we must not forget his 9 month old kitten, named Keetee. This morning he told his Mom that when the cat is happy and nice, her name is Keetee B., giving it my surname, but that when it is grumpy and a pest, her name changes to Keetee R., using the last name of his grandfather (my ex).

Only 7 years old and already so observant...makes a granny SMILE!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: