Saturday, September 29, 2012

LITTLE BOYS ARE MADE OF...

Bali, my little ray of sunshine.


What is it about 3:30 AM? It’s as if someone nudges me awake at that time every morning – been happening for over a week now. Morpheus and I need to have a talk! Doesn’t that fickle dude realize that by 9 AM, when I am supposed to start working, I only want to crawl back into bed? Or maybe he has seen my 2nd Rug Rat, Bali, in action, and knows that I have to be out of my zombie state, with a couple of coffee under my belt, before that youngster hits the floor running at 5:30 AM, LOL!

I call Bali my little ray of sunshine. The kid packs more activity into a day than one would believe possible; such a little guy, and totally fearless, which leads to a scolding at least once every 24 hours. He takes it all in stride, and there isn’t a grudging bone in his body. He’ll be in tears, throwing you dirty looks for having punished him, then jump right back into your arms the next minute, full of little-boy hugs. He so reminds me of my mom, both in looks and attitude; just chock full of mischief and charm. And, as TAPS warned me, he seems to be always one step ahead of me. Dennis the Menace has nothing on this lad!

He and Smooch have a lot in common. Because of this, they more often than not end up in a pushing/shoving match or tugs of war for whatever Bali has left lying around – socks, shoes, toys...

The pup weighs twice as much as the boy, and Bali’s head is the perfect height for easy licking access. Bali has been warned not to hit the dog, but to say a firm ‘NO!’, and to push him away when being bothered. Smooch, with the tenacity for which pits are renown, keeps coming back, of course, loving the play. Eventually one of them will give in, usually Smooch, but now and then, when Bali’s ‘NO’ gets too loud, an adult will intervene. Smooch will slink away followed by Bali’s smug, winning “Nyah, nyah”.

Yesterday (and it wasn’t even 7 o’clock yet!) I had no sooner turned my back on the two of them after having acted as referee when Bali’s loud ‘HEY!!” had me whip around to see what was going on. The pup had sneaked back and landed a big, wet lick on Bali’s ear...before grabbing the disputed shoe and taking off on a run. My Rug Rat looked up at me, his fierce expression turning into a huge, sunny grin. "He won this time!" the boy declared, then took off to give chase.

I stood there for a moment, remembering how peaceful my home had been before I was invaded by Rug Rats and dogs. Within a minute my mind silently revised the word ‘peaceful’ to ‘boring’. It took only a second more to add ‘love’...and I SMILED.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

No comments: