Thursday, October 11, 2012

TESTING....


I wasn’t really expecting anyone for Thanksgiving but had decided to do the traditional meal anyway. It had been the favorite holiday for both my mom and my brother, Bird; it just wouldn’t feel right to skip it. In the end, we were 9 people gathered around the table that night...and 3 doggies. My daughter showed up with wine and baguettes and friends (yes, she warned me a couple of hours ahead of time), and the two youngest Rug Rats came with their Mommy.

My son, when talking reconciliation with the Mommy,including the plan for the whole family moving in here, had warned her that this was the ‘party’ house where most occasions are celebrated – holidays, birthdays, and just people getting together. Her increased avoidance of such occasions, and her total reluctance to invite anyone except her own family (rarely) to their home was one point of contention in their relationship...and with his siblings. Mommy had told him there would be no problem; after weeks of self analysis, she has concluded that isolation is no longer desirable. She wants her real life, including her man and children, back to where it once was, and she could handle receiving guests if that was part of it.

Words, said my son. We’ll see what happens when the time comes.

“Time has come – Initiation Day!” I texted to him shortly after hearing there would be last minute guests. He answered me back from his perch in the tree way up in the northern hunting forests.

“LOL – Good! Let me know how it goes!”

We all had a lovely time. Mommy and the rug rats were first to arrive, and she pitched in to help with preparations. She continued in the same vein throughout the evening, chatting pleasantly with everyone, serving turkey and squash and pumpkin pie, up immediately with my daughter for clearing the table and washing dishes, sincerely enjoying the antics from both the boys and the guests. Then she was no sooner over breakfast the next day and she was cleaning – bathrooms, windows, and floors – all the while joking with me and the kids. My daughter phoned, and I told her what was happening.

"Tell her I’ll go put the For Sale sign on their house myself!" my daughter laughed. I repeated what she said, and Mommy’s face glowed. We were rebuilding our bridges.

She was in the shower when I again texted my son.
“Test passed – flying colours!! Giving her an A+” I wrote. He had been watching for the results, because my phone beeped nearly immediately with his answer.

It was a huge SMILE!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: