Wednesday, October 24, 2012

LOVE, LUST, AND LACK OF SLEEP

The beautiful Louka, with her ardent admirer, Weegie

It was love at first sight. Ummm – I mean lust – it was LUST at first sight! And that is why Weegie was scratching and whining at the side of my bed at 2 AM in the morning.

I thought he had to pee...or worse... so I crawled out of bed and stumbled after him. He is very small and not used to being loose, so I couldn’t just open the door and let him go. It meant stepping outside, bare feet on cold boards, fumbling for the catch in the dim exterior light, then finding the minuscule loop on his collar under all that hair. No sooner attached and he went racing down the stairs to the warm welcome of the beautiful Louka, who suddenly materialized out of the darkness.

And yes, I mean warm; she’s in heat again.

Weegie must have seen her through the window while she was strutting her stuff outside, very aware that at least one male, the only one whose anatomy is still intact, would be watching with interest. And now there were 3 dogs paying attention; Weejie’s scurrying had aroused the curiosity of Smooch and Grump. Both huge mutts were standing just inside the entrance, certain that they should be allowed to go play too. NOT!

They reluctantly returned to their couches when I pointed and whispered the command. Fifteen minutes later they were right back up again to watch me drag (literally!) Weegie inside. I didn’t want to leave the little dude out there too long with nocturnal hunters in the bush; he is smaller and less agile than a cat. He protested, but I wanted to SLEEP!

As soon as Weegie was untied, Smooch got into the act; his playmate was awake and excited – fun and games hour!! It took more minutes of hissing threats (the rug rats were sleeping; I couldn’t yell at the beasts or the boys would be up too) before I got them settled down.

Ah, finally! Snuggled back in bed and reaching for Morpheus.

Fat chance! Weegie was right back beside me, pulling his ‘let me out now, now, now!' crap. There was no way I could sleep with this going on! Once more I got up, only this time I shut him in the bathroom, with both doors closed. I also sent the ever attentive Grump and Smooch back to their couches...again.

Weegie began to yap. Big dogs bark, little dogs yap. Telling him to shut up didn’t do it. Exasperated, I rushed to grab him and put him none too gently on the pillow beside me, threatening that he would become an appetizer for the owls if he didn’t stop.

Guess what? Lust is stronger than threats. The yapping stopped, but was replaced by whining as he run back and forth the length of my bed. I was still puzzling on how to make him quiet down, short of wringing his neck, when I heard similar sounds coming from the kitchen, only made by larger dogs, so much louder.

Grump and Smooch would never get that excited even if Louka was up on the gallery, so I needed to investigate, and quickly, or everyone in the house would be awake. I hurried towards them, Weegie following close behind me, his little paws clicking on the wood floors. Both pits were standing at the windowed French doors, tails waving wildly, uttering that half whine-half bark thing they do, and jockeying for position to see...Dora!

Fred’s girlfriend’s 6 month old kitten was sitting out there, not moving, staring in at them imperiously, well aware that they couldn’t touch her through the glass. When she saw me she stood, arching her back slightly; her it’s-about-time stance. I shushed the dogs, and reached out to pick her up, held her high while the hounds milled around me, and she was deposited, also none too gently, on the other side of the door leading down to Fred’s apartment...but...PUCK! I hadn’t closed the other door properly and now that sneaky Weegie was on the long gallery, booting it as fast as he could towards the part of the stairs where he can slip his little self through the space and get down into the yard. The beautiful Louka stood waiting, her feathered tail waving gently as she watched me chase him down. ARRGH!

“Enough of this!” I declared to the world in general. My voice was what you could probably term as a very loud stage whisper. I toned it down while adding some colorful words when I realized that one of the rug rats could be awake and listening. In fact, I was surprised that anyone was still sleeping!

Snap decision.

I pointed at the couches, and Grump and Smooch, clued in by the tone and gesture used, quickly and silently slouched over to lie down. Weegie I carried to where his leash is installed, threw open the door, then tied him outside. It was the only way I’d get peace for what was left of the night. Louka watched him scoot towards her and looked up at me in gratitude.

“You’re big enough to watch out for the runt,” I told her. “You let anything get him, then it’s my gain and your loss!”

I knew I was up for the day. Before my sleeping habits would allow me to snooze now, it would be time for the boys to get up and fed and dressed and driven to school and daycare. Admitting defeat, I gloomily passed my bedroom door, heading for the kitchen and the coffee maker.

A noise from upstairs had me raising my head, expecting to see one of the rug rats. Instead, there was Kiti, their 10 month old kitten, perched on the beam, taking in the view below. If she decided to come down, the pits would be excited again, damnit!

“And just what are you planning, Missy?” I asked her, softly. Her pretty cat eyes looked into mine. “Are you going to be pain in the butt too?” She studied me for a moment, then languorously reclined her length before returning her attention to the pits, which were alert and watching.

“Ah – one intelligent animal in the menagerie,” I sighed with relief. Kiti responded by glancing at me again, her eyes now half closed. I could almost hear her drawl her answer.

“Of, course, darling.”

I gratefully bowed to Her Majesty Kiti, and I smiled.

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

No comments: