Friday, August 3, 2012

OUCH!!!

Nalou & Smooch - buddies!


“Mémère! Smooch is eating your chair again!!”

Nalou, the oldest rug rat, was standing at the window looking out onto the gallery. His words galvanized me to action. Darn that pup anyway! Forgetting that the poor thing has been spending most of his time shut away there and was probably bored to death, I took off out the door, intent on kicking his butt (not literally) for tearing my swing apart. I was moving fast, so when my slippered foot hit the rain water covering the wooden deck, I went down hard. Owie!!

I couldn’t get up immediately. Nalou’s worried call of “Are you okay, Mémère?” was faint, and I didn’t know if I should reassure him or ask him to go downstairs and get Fred to come and help. I lay there for a moment, and here was Smooch, ears pricked in interest. I felt him nose my ear, then he was licking my face with joy, happy that Mistress came outside to play. Fortunately he didn’t know what I’d been planning!!

I managed to stand up on my own, but spent the day moving at a reduced speed. By the time my son came home, I was feeling much better. The next morning found me struggling to even get out of bed; it was hurting so badly. The result was that my son was unable to go to work because I ended up in the emergency room. Any movement would send an acute shooting pain from my right shoulder up into my neck. The nice lady doctor palmed my back, then told me it was a strained muscle and prescribed anti-inflammatory pills; no x-rays necessary unless the medicine didn’t do the trick within a couple of days. In spite of being sore, I was relieved there was nothing more serious.

I would like to tell you here that my 3 grandsons were very sympathetic and considerate with their wounded Mémère. Not!! Daddy warned them, and they stared at me for a moment, searching for any sign of blood or gore, I bet, and then, being typical children, quickly forgot about it. In no time at all the baby was clamouring up on my knee for some hugs and some tickles and horsing around. Bali did his running jump, expecting me to catch him (of course I did!), and Nalou was asking for help to build a chateau from cardboard boxes. Hmmm...one doesn’t get to sit and whine for long around here!

The event was the catalyst – it was time for Smooch and the rug rats to learn to live together. The boys were instructed on what and what not to do, and either my son or I keep a constant eye out while the pup is with them. He was a little hyper when first allowed to run around inside, but is slowly settling down...and loving the attention. He and Nalou are fascinated with each other.

Mémère’s babies are all together now, and she’s SMILING!!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

No comments: