Monday, August 20, 2012

DOGS & BOYS...AND SMILES

Nalou & Smooch - relaxation - the calm before the storm ;)


My ex-DIL called yesterday. She has known me for 10 years; she probably suspected what I would be thinking after that visit with her mom. She hastened to assure me that she finds the hassle of the separation much easier to deal with because it is evident that her children are happy and doing well. The oldest, who is 7 years old, proved the point by telling his Mommy that he wished she and Daddy would get together again, but not that they move back home. Instead he wants his Mommy to move in here with Mémère and Daddy. And that is the only approbation I need.

Meanwhile, back at the farm...Smooch has been doing very well these past weeks. He has learned to tread softly with the rug rats most of the time. When he begins to get excited, he will listen to the ‘down’ command, although I’m sure he still doesn’t understand why. The interaction between Smooch and the boys is always supervised by either me or my son. He is, after all, just a puppy, and not used to living with youngsters. I’m not worried about him being mean and trying to bite, but he is rambunctious and weighs 80 pounds now. That’s a lot of doggie to contend with when he barrels into you for play.

He was operated on last Tuesday, and the vet told me he should be quiet for a few days. She forgot to tell Smooch. He was no sooner out of the car than he wanted to horse around with Grump, completely oblivious of any pain he was supposed to be feeling. For the next 10 days, he is not allowed to run or jump for fear of opening his stitches. I can’t even tie him up on the lawn, because the stitches need to be kept free of dust or humidity. It means he is again shut up on the gallery for most of the day. The poor puppy is going crazy because of lack of exercise, and driving us crazy to boot. I have an endless supply of chew toys and rawhide sticks, but it still doesn’t prevent him from getting bored and gnawing on the wooden posts of the railings, or any wires he happens to find, or the corner of my French windows if they happen to be open. ARRRGH! Friday, the day scheduled for his vet visit, can’t arrive too soon!

I’m off to the city to see clients this morning. My son will pick up the rug rats either from day care this afternoon or, if the 2 youngest still have the cold, from their Mummy’s house later this morning. He has the next couple of days off, so the construction of the tree house will continue. I know Nalou is anticipating inviting some friends over to spend the night in sleeping bags out there; a big adventure, one that every child should live. Mémère has been practicing (in secret) her ghostly yowls; what’s the fun of spending the night in a tree house if there isn’t a big scare on?

After a day in the city, it has always been a pleasure to arrive home to the exuberant greeting of the doggies. The pleasure is more than tripled now – I also get a warm, hugging welcome from three little rug rats.

Life is good, and my SMILE is as big as that of Kabu’s Cheshire cat!! Lots of it to go around, folks – so sending it out to you!!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec

No comments: