Sunday, August 5, 2012

FAREWELLS

Fred and Marie -The sweet farewell, when a day feels like a year


Oh my, but the house feels empty this morning! Besides me, there are only the two doggies, and Fred’s little girlfriend who is hiding downstairs, probably crying her eyes out after having bid her first love goodbye for another long month. My daughter and her youngest slept over last night, and have just left to drive a despondent Fred to the airport. He’s off to his job in Alberta, and won’t be back until September. Marie-Eve (the little girlfriend) decided not to go with them, preferring privacy for the difficult farewell. When Fred left her she was snuggled up to her kitten...and a box of tissues. "Oh, gentle feelings, soft sounds, the goodness and the gradual stilling of a soul that has been moved; the melting happiness of the first tender, touching joys of love—where are you? Where are you?"
- Ivan Turgenev, First Love, Ch. 7

The rug rats are away spending the weekend with their Mom. It’s amazing how quickly I have become used to the changes around here. My son and the boys had only been gone an hour on Friday and I was walking around in a sort of daze; finding myself at a loss without the sound of young voices, no pitter patter of little feet, no demands for juice or strawberries or referee service, LOL! I rallied within the hour though. The doggies and I slipped back into our ‘before’ routine, taking a long walk, sitting quietly on the gallery watching the moon rise in the evening sky, followed by a long soak in the Jacuzzi.

Yesterday my son and I had guests for supper. Jo loves to cook, and I could hear him singing as he did ribs and Idaho potatoes and fresh asparagus on the BBQ. It was wonderful to see him happy, and I suspected that the agonizing wavering on his decision was done. He confirmed this just before he left to sleep over with some friends. He didn’t actually tell me what the decision was, just that his head was clear now. He added that he would be bringing the boys back here this afternoon, then would return for a discussion with their Mom. She’s regretting her actions, and has been trying to give him space, promising to change. Although I love the girl as a daughter, and fear that she will pay dearly for her mistake, it was because of my influence that Jo forgave and forgot on the first occasion this happened. He told me as much, and it’s one of the reasons I refuse to get involved this time. My heart aches for her, but que sera, sera.

It’s still early, so I think I’ll go curl up in my comfy bed with a good book and maybe cop a little snooze while I have the chance. The timing is perfect; it’s raining here now, the drops echoing on my tin roof. Hopefully it is doing the same in Camelot, nourishing Kabu’s garden and inciting the gnomes to dance in glee. I know others need this weather badly, and I wish I could share it with you. Not within my ability, we know, but I do have one thing I CAN share – a humongous SMILE!

It’s up, up and away!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: