Wednesday, June 30, 2010

ME VS GARAGE DOOR

That storm knocked out the electricity here in the bush – it was off most of the morning, then again from about 6 PM to 11-something- PM. Except for the pump not working, therefore no water, I really don’t mind the lack of hydro for short bursts. I’m used to it, and have a generator to back up if it’s off too long. Yesterday morning did present an amusing problem though. I was just on my way out the door, heading for work, when I realized that my garage door would have to be opened manually.

Ummm…okay. I know how it’s done. Except I’d always just watched while it was being done; not had to do it myself. It’s not a complicated process, but the door is heavy, and kept stopping about ¾ of the way up. Not quite high enough to get my truck under it. It wouldn’t take much to send it the rest of the way, but I’m short, and couldn’t exert enough muscle power while standing on the tips of my toes. I tried using a large broom to push it higher. That didn’t work either; it kept sliding back down. I finally succeeded by finding a stepladder, placing it as close to the door as I could, gingerly climbing halfway up, and giving an almighty shove, which sent me and ladder rocking and nearly crashing to the cement floor. I’m pretty sure my facial expressions during this exercise would have made it onto Home’s funniest Videos, LOL. I told my daughter about it when I saw her later, and that night my youngest son showed up at the house to tighten the coils of the door. Now I can practically use just one hand to send that bugger flying up there! HA! Me, Jane!!!

Ah, and the bonus was that my son was accompanied by my two little grandsons (the third, our new-born, was at home with mummy). The four of us, surrounded by doggies, walked a way down the lane. I correct that – Bali RAN down the gravel lane, then back up the steep hill, as fast and as wobbly as three-year-old legs could take him. What a character! And what energy!! And what nice kisses and hugs M’mère got as they piled into the car to go home. Gotta love it!

When the boys were gone, I drove up to see Suzie, who is home from Detroit. She fed me, then we sat outside in the mountain air and chatted like old friends do until 11PM, the hour at which the electricity was supposed be restored, according to the Hydro-Quebec hot-line. It still wasn’t on when I got home (dark is really DARK in the bush!!!) but did start shortly after, so it was Jacuzzi time. I managed a whole 3 hours of shut-eye, then was checking out Facebook at 3 AM. I’m beginning to wonder if my insomnia isn’t timed to coincide with the full moon. Maybe I was a werewolf in a former life? There’s much going on at the moment, but the sleep problem exists even when things are calm. The positive side is that one gets to admire a lot of sunrises – and some of them are astounding. So, sleepy or not, I’m still SMILING…sending it out to you…keep it going!

Luv from the Bush in Quebec.

No comments: